Chapter 28

"I was stabbed," the man wailed.

"I know," Morgana rolled her eyes, her time with the ghosts was short, and so far all that man had been doing was wail, "I know, I know, you got into a fight in a tavern and while drunk tried to tease the strongest guy there," she mumbled. She would never claim to be the smartest person in a room, but she was well aware that messing with people who had a reputation to put up a fight was never a smart decision. She would almost feel pity for the man had it not been because she had been subjected to his unstoppable complaints for over half an hour.

"I was stabbed and left to bleed to death," he looked at the teenager in horror, hitting his chest.

"I know," Morgana dragged rubbing the sides of her forehead. "I just wanted to know if you had any interesting stories to tell," she complained. The man's face changed; his previous expression of dread was turned into one of shock.

"Is my death not enough of an interesting tale to you?"

Morgana wrinkled her nose, shaking her head. "Not really."

The man's face twisted, offence in his features, "Listen, you insolent child, you should have thought better before..."

As he vanished, Morgana let out a sigh of relief, grateful that her time with the spirits of the dead was limited. Sometimes, it was a hindrance, they had disappeared in the middle of a tale she might not be able to find the end of. On times like this, it was a blessing.

Morgana stared at her window, knowing it was close to dinner time. She picked up the candles and undid the drawing on the floor, hiding the book behind the wall where she had found it. With one last look of her room to make sure it wouldn't raise any suspicion, she left for dinner.

She had never told anyone about it, not even Emrys. Mostly because she couldn't find a way on how to say she had found a way to talk to the dead, even if this was highly limited. She still remembered the disappointment she felt when the book specified it was forbidden to contact her immediate family.

Laughter filled the dining hall. Groups of girls rushing with hurried steps waiting to take a seat before dinner was served. The last eight to arrive would have to help to wash the dishes. Morgana set next to Viola, a brunette girl who had tapped her seat reserving it only for her, smiling when she sat.

"Thank you," Morgana said, Viola nodded.

"You're very welcome," her smile widened when the plate landed in front of her, "now, Morgana, we have something very important to discuss with you," Morgana froze for a second, raising an eyebrow to the girls, stopping mid-bite only to see Beatrice and Regina watching her with the same level of attention.

"Is everything alright?" Morgana questioned lowering her spoon. Regina and Viola shared a glance, Beatrice rolled her eyes.

"It's nothing bad," Regina said, her following voice coming in a singing tune, "We're just curious,"

Morgana tilted her head slightly.

"We've been hearing voices from your room, more than once," Morgana froze, her heart beating fast in her chest. She never thought it would be possible for them to hear it.

"Men's voices," Regina was quick to clarify.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Morgana put a bite of food in her mouth, closing her mouth shut.

"Is it Emrys?" One of them ventured, "It is, isn't it?" there was a teasing smile in her face.

"Sometimes," Morgana felt the heat raise to her cheeks, her eyes turning to her food.