Doctor Molina looked at me curiously. "Do you think that you have any symptoms of STIs, like an infection?"

"No. Just that I thought that I should get a test..." My shakes came back, and I couldn't stop tears from welling up.

Don't cry, idiot. Not here.

Doctor Molina put down his notes. "Did you have a difficult experience the last time you had sex?"

"No. It was fine."

Doctor Molina sat back for a moment with a perplexed expression, before suddenly leaning close to me and laying a gentle hand on my arm. "How often did you have S.T.I. tests, before this one?"

"Every six months."

"And when is the next one due?"

"In two weeks."

"So, we're well on time. That's great." Doctor Molina scribbled more onto his notes. Probably writing down what I was. "You know what's involved, Zeph. I'm going to take a urine sample, and a blood sample from you. It'll take a week to get the blood results by email, and if you test positive for an S.T.I., I'll ask you to come back, so we can talk about your results and the treatment you'll need. Is that OK, Zeph?"

I nodded. This had been so much easier in Sigma with my guys sitting right there with me, and a bribed doctor quietly arriving, collecting our samples, and getting the fuck outta Seven without asking any questions.

Doctor Molina cheerfully got on with the the ritual of dipping various test strips into a sample bottle filled with my piss, occasionally saying "that's great," as he scribbled on my notes. "It sounds like the results will be negative, but if you do have an S.T.I., I take it that partner notification isn't possible in this case?"

"No, " I said, watching the slow trickle of my blood into a bottle. "I'm done, by the way. That's why I left María."

"Are you safe?" he asked, still with that quiet-calm tone, but I could see the worry in his eyes. "This is all totally confidential, but I have to report further if you're in any danger."

"I'm safe. María P.D. is involved," I said. It all sounded so fucking sordid, even without the details. "I was in a...difficult relationship. But I got out."

"Great to hear that, Zeph. And it's great that you moved to Santa Elena."

"Actually, I'm going back to Korea in a few days. There's a little complication with my passport, but my neighbor, Gloria, is helping me to get it fixed."

"Is that Gloria Rodriguez?"

"Yeah! Gloria and Clive are my neighbors. They're so nice." Nice didn't do them justice.

"They're great," said Doctor Molina, his eyes crinkling in a warm smile. "I'm friends with Clive from hiking club." The fact that he knew Clive was totally unsurprising. I guessed that a man like Clive would know everyone in Santa Elena, and would gladly call them all his friends. "And...have you met Jules?" Doctor Molina's demeanor changed as he mentioned her name. His quiet confidence disappeared momentarily, and he gave me a nervous glance.
Looks like someone's got a little crushy-crush.

"I met her Sunday. She's really nice. And her yoga book is awesome." I couldn't help testing the waters. "And she's really pretty."

"I guess," said Doctor Molina, shuffling his papers and turning back to his desk. "I've met her a few times, and she's..." he trailed off, smiling to himself a little.

"Great?" I offered.

He chuckled at that. "I do use that word too often."

"I was being serious. Jules is great."