APPENDIX: Questions, Awards and Notes

Here are some questions (anonymised) from DMs I received from readers that I thought might be useful for all to read. Enjoy!

Q: Can I ask a plot hole question? Wouldn't Anna Maria tell Noah Zeph's address if she stole his passport records from the embassy?

Thanks for the great question! When you're in witness protection, only the police has your address. The Embassy would not have been given it and there'd be no record of it for Ana Maria to steal. That's why Zeph had to go to the Embassy with Charlotte to collect his passport in person.

Q: Is Zeph hot?

He doesn't think so, but he states that he's attractive enough to survive. A few other characters mention that he's pretty. Chances are he's higher than average attractiveness. Will thinks that Zeph is incomparably beautiful, and I guess that's all that matters.

Q: I must comment that Raheem is not a Nigerian name. Also, is Will of Muslim faith?

Great observation about Raheem. I agree that Nigerian names are unique and beautiful and it would have been nicer to give him an authentic Nigerian name. Raheem Ali is a very common name for men who have converted to Islam during adulthood. There is a backstory for Raheem where he converted to Islam and gave up his Nigerian name to escape gang violence. Zeph mentions that Raheem is vegetarian for religious reasons, which suggests that he might be interested in Islamic mysticism, common in South Asia.

Will has no religion, and was never brought up with any religious culture. His mother and his maternal uncle are non-practicing Iranian Muslims.

Q: Does Zeph have perfect pitch?

It seems like it from the story, especially when he gives descriptions of pieces by Debussy, and when he describes some of his own compositions. Though it doesn't seem that he's particularly aware that he has perfect pitch (a.k.a absolute pitch).

Q: Does Zeph have a thing for Raheem?

He does seem a little into him, doesn't he? He admires him a lot, and mentions that he is handsome more than once. I have a feeling that he is quite in awe of him, and that if they'd met in different universes he'd have tried his luck.

Q: Why are meena and moni from india but one of them looks Korean?

India is a massive country with a lot of ethnic groups, and the ladies are from opposite sides of the country so don't look the same. A lot of northern Indians look like indigenous East Asian peoples.

Q: Is zeph a top? I getting top vibes from him. Which of the bros are tops?

You're talking about which guy has his hand on top when they hold hands, right? 😏 Sorry, I don't know. I'm guessing they all do whatever. 🤭

Q: Is the poem about the zefir by Forugh Farrokhzad?

No, sadly it's a poem that doesn't exist and I am too bad at poetry to have written one for the story, but I based it on some poems that Forugh Farrokhzad wrote, and Mozhgan's personality is a little bit inspired by her too.

Q: There are so many couples with big age gaps. What is the biggest in the story?

Yeah, more than you think too! Age gaps (older partner mentioned first):

Rafa and Luke, twenty years

Senator Graz and Mozhgan, sixteen years

Teresa and Ruby, twelve years

Will and Zeph, ten years

Meena and Moni, eight years

Charlotte and Guillermo, six years

Raheem and Miles, four years

Q: How tall are Zeph and Will?

Will is 1.75 m tall (5 feet 9 inches), and Zeph is 1.70 m tall (5 feet 7 inches). Those heights are typical for their ethnic groups: Will has both Persian Iranian and ethnic Sicilian heritage, and Zeph is 100 % Korean. Both men would be considered small by Northwestern European/ North American standards.

Q: What happens to my babies, raheem and miles?!? I think miles works for will now, or was I imagining that?!?

Yes, Miles does indeed work as an apprentice electrician with Will as his boss. Jules bought a new yoga studio to replace the one that fell in the ocean, and Raheem is the personal trainer in the gym there.

AWARDS:

🥇 Winner, Wattpad Amby Awards, 2022

🥇 Grand Winner, Wattpad Pride Awards, 2022

🥇First Place Winner, 2022 Punk Rock Awards, hosted by Pretty in Punk Book Club

🥇First Place Winner, Pride Awards 2022, Mystery Category

🥈Second Place Winner, Coalition Awards 2022, Mystery/Thriller Category

🥇2021 Book of the Year, Books Got Talent 2021 Awards

🥇First Place Winner, Books Got Talent 2021 Awards, Mystery and Thriller Category

🥇First Place Winner, Writers Recognition Awards 2021, Mystery Category