IDFB 11b: Temporal Sickness 🤢

Pillow huffed and puffed, gripping the large sword tightly. She eyed the pile of robotic corpses warily, but it seemed like she had slashed each one to bits. Not a single mechanical foe was still functioning. Slowly, she let loose a sigh of relief and lowered the sword to the ground.

Something scraped against the door leading to the 14th floor. Jumping back, Pillow saw the doorknob turn just before the sound of two claps reached her ears. The doorknob stopped turning.

"Nice job!" Pillow turned to see One poking out from the corner of the stairwell behind her. "You can drop the sword now. Grab the pair of scissors from inside there-" they gestured towards the door. "-and meet me outside the museum." Then they vanished.

--------------------

Present day

Fries flexed his fingers experimentally, then grabbed the large section of ruined concrete rubble. Straining a little, he managed to lift it over his head. "There," he grunted.

"Wow!" Gelatin gushed. "You really ARE super strong! I didn't believe it till now! How much weight can you lift?"

"I'm not sure." Gently, Fries set the concrete slab down, leaning it against the side of the only remaining wall of the building that used to be labelled Juice Cinema so that the slab was parallel to it. "I was definitely feeling the weight of that chunk of rock, though."

"How did you say you got it again?"

"Through those grotatoes that Tennis Ball created," Fries remembered. "The second strain didn't get rid of my strength, but at least I don't have hiccups or sleeping problems anymore."

"Neato." Gelatin leaned against the wall as well. "Speaking of grotatoes, I don't suppose you-"

Fries sighed and rolled his eyes. "Yes, Gelatin, there are plenty left over. And, yes, you can have some."

"Whoopee!" Gelly cried, turning and running off to the farm near the Yoyle Needy. "Don't eat them all, though!" Fries called out after him. The package of deep-fried potatoes sighed again. Gelatin was a good guy, but a bit too goofy for Fries' taste occasionally.

Due to the nature of comedic timing, the chunk of concrete that was leaning so precariously against the wall decided to fall over. It missed most of Fries, but the edge landed squarely on his foot.

His scream of pain echoed across the city.

--------------------

Present day, but at night

Pillow emerged from the Science Museum into the slightly moonlit street, lugging the abnormally large pair of scissors behind her. One, who was a few feet away, turned towards her. They were wearing a boring-looking beige backpack. "Ah! Perfect. Come with me, we've got some more work to do."

They turned again to walk away. Pillow ran to catch up. "Hold on," she said. "I have a lot of questions."

"Fire away."

"First off, if you're powerful enough to have the ability to travel through time, can't you fly us to wherever we're going or something?"

One chuckled. "I can see you have your priorities straight," they replied sarcastically. "Yes, I could fly us to our destination, but I enjoy walking more. All that time sitting in the museum has given my legs a serious cramp."

"Fair enough, I suppose. But about your powers, just how are you so powerful? I mean, it should be theoretically impossible to travel through time."

"Why is Black Hole so powerful?" One shrugged. "The universe works in mysterious ways."

"I'll have you know that there's actually a reasonable scientific explanation behind black holes."