Chapter 5

Picture: Jayden Anderson
"Water... Earth... Fire... Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished," I heard coming from the living room.

"Carly! Turn the damn TV down! And don't you think you're a little too old to be watching Avatar: The Last Airbender?" I yelled from the kitchen. A few seconds later I could here Carly walking into the room. Krista let out a sigh and muttered something along the lines of 'here we go'.

"Gee, Uncle Nate. Is it your time of the month again?" she asked. My niece is rude as hell.

"You know, Carly, maybe that girl you like wants to go out with you, oh, wait. She doesn't even know who you are," I said smugly. She huffed before stomping off in the direction of their living room.

Two days have passed since that horrid dinner at my dad's house. Krista invited me over to their home for dinner to make up for talking me into going to the she-devil's den.

"Honestly, Nate. Don't you think you're a little too old to be antagonizing my kid?" Ashlynn asked walking into the kitchen.

"Nah. I'm trying to help prepare her for the adult world. It's a cold world out there," I said taking a sip of my lemonade. I was currently watching Krista finish preparing dinner. I offered to help her but we both knew that that would lead to me getting injured in some freak accident. Trust me, it happens often. I once burned my hand making toast. (A/N this actually happened to me. I burnt it to the white meat. LOL I can't cook, guys.)

"Well thank you for that," Ashlynn said sarcastically. She picked a carrot off of Krista's cutting board resulting in a slap on the hand from my sister.

"Anyway, so has Mr. Mysterious contacted you yet?" asked Krista. She was interrogating me about the secret admirer.

I sighed, "Krista, I told you he said every Friday." She was starting to get on my nerves with all these questions. "He did send me coffee and a muffin today and yesterday, however."

"Wow. This guy is sending food?" Jayden stated walking into the kitchen and sitting beside me at the table. "He totally loves you."

"You all have issues. Now can we stop talking about this?" I asked.

"Fine. Let's talk about how you blew up at the old hag," Carly said coming back into the kitchen with a new attitude towards me.

"Yes. I'd like to know what the hell made you snap," said Ashlynn.

"Yeah, Nate. Normally you brush her off. Why did you say something this time?" Krista inquired.

"I honestly just was tired of her. And Travis kept touching me under the table and I was getting pissed at that. Seriously, their whole fucking family is filled with whack jobs. How could anyone sit through anything with those people there? Speaking of which, how did the rest of dinner go?" I asked. I was curious to know what the she-devil said about me.

"I'll give you a play-by-play," Krista said.

FLASHBACK (3rd person)

Nathan threw his napkin down and stood up. "This is why I never come over here or talk to you," he said to his father. "Your shitty ass second family pisses me. Now I'm leaving. Do not ever call me to be around these people ever again. Oh, and Travis, touch me again and I will cut off your hands. Have a nice night."

He stormed out the house after a quick goodbye to his family. For a minute the dining room was filled with silence. Sheila was the first to break the silence.