xvii. too afraid to love

─◌✰್CHAPTER EIGHTEENthe boy, too afraid, to love ┊͙˚

the boy, too afraid, to love ┊͙˚.

𝓔lora had returned Bertha to Tom, each time she felt less and less guilty for what she was doing. However she feared that maybe part of her wanted to do this, and that part scared her.

Regulus lay sprawled against the sofa in the library, everyone else was too scared to move around hogwarts, even the librarian. His brunette curled softened against his face, his lips pursed.

"Regulus" She whispered, placing her hand gently against his cheek. The boy groaned slightly before waking up in an instance and gripping tightly onto her arm. "Elora" He sighed out , placing his head against the girls chest.

Her heart melted, it felt so right, his touch, his attention. "I'm scared" She whispered, the candles dimming in the library. "Me too, but what specifically are you afraid of"

"Myself" She sighed, the boy lifting his head up to really look at her. His orbs running across her face and her lips. "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you, I will put you before anyone. Always"

The blonde wanted to break down to the boy, tell him how Tom had kissed her and how she hated herself for liking it. She needed to tell him everything but she couldn't, because then whatever they had left would be destroyed, forever.

"I need you Regulus, please" She silently begged, the boy knowing exactly what she had meant. He leaned in close to her pushing her hair behind her ears and wrapping his arms around her waist.

And yet nothing happened. She waited, as she had done her whole life, to feel him, to love him, to be loved. But the boy did nothing but hold her.

"That's not what I meant" She snapped, pushing him away from her and standing to her feet. "I know what you meant Elora"

She felt helpless, as though she had been stabbed through the chest. The pain was unbearable, far worse when she realised she had been the cause for two deaths now.

"I hate you" She said, tears spilling from her eyes in panic. "I hate you so much" She added, not bothering to wipe the pain from her face. Yet the boy said nothing, he looked at her in awh, he wanted to help her but not like this.

"Elora" He sighed, looking towards the shaded window and out towards the night sky. The girl said nothing.

"You don't hate me" He spoke, crushing the girl even more. She waited, for him to say something else but he didn't. "Avis" Elora whispered, pain crushing her mind and soul as a flock of paper birds flew towards the boy.

Regulus didn't shift or even move, he let them disappear around his as did the girl, leaving him to wonder what he had just done.

..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜

flashback
christmas day

Elora sat by her bed, her child home walls had grown dim and her bedsheets no longer felt like home. Her thoughts were merely interrupted by a knock at the door, one she knew.

Daniel slowly pulled open the door, shutting it carefully and making his way over to her bed. He took a seat, both his hands placed together and his posture hunched forwards. 

"You didn't come down for the presents" The boy spoke, gazing at the floor. He was still wearing his suit from the office, it's as though he needed to prove every second of the day that he had made something of himself, just as their mother had said.

"I didn't feel like watching mother shower you with gifts" The girl replied, her blonde hair no longer poker straight like it always was at school, it was in a high bun, strands of curls falling from it in attempts to escape. Elora hadn't eaten in days, it was always the same destructive cycle when she was at her mothers house. She had waited for Regulus to arrive and yet he hadn't, despite this being their second week off school.

"Would you care to tell me what's gotten you like this, I know it's something Lorie, i'm your brother"
Daniel said everything so matrofact, as though he knew he was always right.

"I'm scared, I worry I love someone far more than they love me" She spoke, a light breeze blowing through her window which she had left open for the slytherin.

However what Elora didn't know was that Regulus had waited outside her window, he was so close to entering just before Daniel had walked in and now he knew everything. He felt differently about her than anyone else, and yet showing it scared him, the fear of it not working out for them, and then where would they be. They would both end up alone.

"Is this Regulus?" Daniel asked, shifting in his seat. The blonde nodded, placing her head on his shoulder as a tear escaped her eye. "I can't go on without knowing he loves me" She signed, closing her eyes to prevent anymore from escaping.

"I'm sure he does Elora, i've seen the way he looks at you, just give him time" Daniel added, the boy hiding behind the window had decided to leave his christmas gift on the edge of the roof, just underneath the window frame where she would see it. He had once hoped to give it to her himself but hopefully the gift will do what his words couldn't.

..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜

Elora waited for her brother to leave, walking towards her window to finally shut it. As she leaned over she noticed a small box, it's covering in a light yellow tone and her name was written gently on the front. wendy

She pulled the gift to her chest, looking outside but there was no sign of the boy, however Regulus was there, he wanted to know how she felt of the gift, he wanted her to know he loved her.

She decided to leave the window open for a moment of two, pulling her candle closer to her as she lifted the lid of the box away. Inside lay a thimble, no larger than her finger. It was a brightly shon silver and engraved on it was the names peter and wendy.

Behind it was a small card, she picked it up carefully as though it was the most sacred thing in the world.

Here lies a thimble,
my gift to you in which i hope
you find comfort and love.
Keep it with you as it is my way
of always being with you.

Regulus Arcturus Black
R.A.B

Elora held the thimble close to her heart, she knew what it meant needn't he said it. The thimble represented a kiss, one she had desired long before her time.

Finally she decided to reach over towards the window, her escaped curls blowing against her face.

"I love you Regulus Arcturus Black"

And yet, all that came of it was silence.

..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜