CHAPTER THRITY THREE: UNDONE

I regret a lot of things, but joining paths with you was never one of them.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: UNDONE

GABRIEL Lightwood's foot tapped a nervous beat against the ground as he waited on Marie Wayland's carriage to arrive.

The day when the two of them would swear to be each other's parabatai had arrived and the Lightwood boy wasn't sure how he felt about it. It's not that he was having second thoughts and he most certainly wasn't questioning whether or not he had wanted to do the ritual, because there wasn't anything he had ever wished more for in his life.

The desire to save Marie's life burned vividly inside of him, like an undying flame, but the smoke that it produced reeked of fear. Gabriel assumed it was natural; that was what he had told himself, anyway. When there was a possibility of dying, it was only logical for your body to begin showing signs of nervousness. Gentle tremor of one's limbs, heart that was threatening to jump out of one's chest, shallow breathing.

Gabriel knew this was his body's mechanism of coping with the danger that was lurking on the horizon. His feet hadn't stopped tacting the fast rhythm against the ground and his lips were almost bloodied because of his teeth biting at the soft flesh.

"It's alright to be afraid, you know?" Imogen Aldridge stood next to him, dressed in a long black dress that met the gray cobblestones. Her hair had been pinned at the top of her head, making her appear even more strict. Her shoulders were proud, her spine straight. "No one was born fearless."

"I am not afraid, Imogen," Gabriel scoffed, shaking his head. His gaze lingered on the corner of the street, just where a dark carriage appeared. "In fact, dying scares me less than my father who, may I mention, may look through the window of our manor at any moment. So, truly, I do not approve of you following me out here, even though I strictly told you to wait in the backyard."

"Don't flatter yourself, Lightwood," the brown-haired woman spoke monotonously. "Although I am incredibly grateful to you for finding a solution to undo the spell I've created, I am here for Marie."

Gabriel almost snorted at the woman's response. "You warlocks truly need to appreciate us more. It's not like I am mending your mistake," his arms lingered on both sides of his body as he began walking toward the carriage. It had stopped moving just before him, the coachman offering him a polite greeting as he waited.

The brunette boy opened the door of the carriage, extending his arm. A soft palm slid into his own as Marie Wayland began climbing down. With every step she took, Gabriel's gaze widened and his breath died. Surely he had made sure to buy the girl the best dress, getting help from the most professional of designers in London, but he had never even imagined it would fit her so well.

The Lightwood red he had chosen for Marie went perfectly with her dark features, accentuating her natural beauty in a divine way. "Never in a million years have I thought someone could look like a god," Gabriel said as the girl faced him, offering him a wide grin. "And yet, here you are, crushing all my beliefs."

"A goddess, Gabriel," Marie responded, her smile growing wider with every passing second. Her cheeks hurt. "I am glad I am still capable of impressing you."

She allowed herself to examine her future parabatai. He wore a black suit that Marie was sure was tailored to fit him perfectly. The dark color made him appear even taller than he was, but that wasn't what truly impressed her. The eternal forest-green color of his orbs set Marie's soul on fire.