CHAPTER THIRTEEN: MERCILESS

But just to make sure that you fully understand the severity of your reckless decision, I will let you off with another warning. Any other mission you decide to carry out without authorization of an elder member will result in rune de-stripping.

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: MERCILESS

CHARLOTTE's testimony was short and concise. She spoke of her recollections of the day the Enclave pulled off the attack on de Quincey's vampires. She also explained that they weren't aware of Nathaniel's siding with the Magister that led to granting entrance into the Institute and murder of two servants.

Tessa was called up immediately after. She repeated the same tiring story she had known by heart now. She didn't know about Nate's loyalty or his current location. She knew next to nothing about her powers and she most definitely thought her parents were human.

"Richard and Elizabeth Gray have been thoroughly investigated," the Inquisitor's voice rang in the ears of present Shadowhunters. "There is no evidence to suggest either was anything but human. The boy, the brother - human as well. It could well be that, as Mortmain hinted, the girl's father is a demon, but if so, there is the question of the missing warlock mark."

"Most curious, everything about you, including this power of yours," Josiah Wayland's steady blue gaze was on Tessa. "You have no idea what its limits, its constructs are? Have you been tested with an item of Mortmain's? To see if you can access his memories or thoughts?"

"Yes, I tried. With a button he had left behind him. It should have worked."

"But?"

"I could not do it," the Gray girl responded. "There was no spark to it, no - no life. Nothing for me to connect with."

"Very well," the Consul said. "You may take your seat, Miss Gray. The Enclave now calls Miss Marie Wayland and Mr. Gabriel Lightwood."

Just the sound of her own name falling off of her father's lips made Marie's heart jump in her chest. She could feel her pulse all the way in her temples, making her breathing become shallow and her vision blurry. Every ounce of courage and calmness she gathered on the way to the Council meeting had vanished. Not even Tessa's gentle smile or Will's eyes meeting hers made Marie feel better, for the only thing the girl was capable of focusing on was her father's hoarse voice.

Her legs were shaking terribly, leaving Marie afraid that she would somehow trip and make fun of herself in front of everyone. It was an enormous relief when she realized that she had gotten close enough to Gabriel, because he had offered his arm as support.

"Everything's going to be okay," Gabriel muttered under his breath as they took a seat.

But he couldn't have known that. Nobody could have.

Marie was aware of that. She wasn't being ungrateful, in fact, she had appreciated Gabriel's attempts of calming her racing heart. He was successful to a certain level, but the thoughts of her testimony somehow jeopardizing Charlotte's position as the Head of the Institute roamed free in Marie's mind. Not to mention that she was about to have a heated argument with her own parent; parent that she hated from the bottom of her gentle heart.