CHAPTER FOUR: REVEALED

I can't believe I am witnessing the day that the ever-so-powerful and emotionless Shadowhunter who goes by the name of William Herondale finally shows his true face - finally shows the true colors of his heart. I thought you knew better than to fall for the woman you could never have.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FOUR: REVEALED

London Institute

WILL Herondale couldn't rip his eyes away from Benedict Lightwood's emerald cloak. It wasn't because it looked rather expensive and unaffordable for most people, the embroidery at the edges giving away clear signs of royalty. He simply couldn't do it because it was a specific detail Sophie had mentioned in her version of the unfortunate events that came before Marie's disappearance.

If Will's mind was working faultlessly as usually, and it was, it was a reasonable thing to conclude that Marie had left the Institute with no other than a person from the Lightwood household. And just the thought of her running away with no other than his worst enemy snapped Will's heart in two pieces; he felt betrayed by the person he had loved most.

"Charlotte," Benedict's threatening voice resonated through the Drawing room. "I'm going to ask this one more time before I call the Clave. Where is my son?"

The small brunette woman sighed, her hand massaging her temples. "Benedict, I understand how you're feeling, but your son is not the only one missing."

"Mr. Lightwood," Jem stepped in, hoping to break the unpleasant feelings and calm down the two sides which were on the edge of starting a war. "Mrs. Branwell is right. With all due respect, but Miss Wayland is missing as well. Your son is not the only one who mysteriously disappeared."

"Of course she is," the man sneered. "She ought to have implanted some crazy idea into his mind. Gabriel would have never left me if he were to make a decision on his own. She has poisoned his mind!"

"Do watch how you're speaking of Miss Wayland," Will stepped closer to the man, his blue orbs never once breaking the intense gaze the two were sharing. The boy didn't know why, but he had terribly wanted to protect Marie from being insulted, even though she had left without a warning. "She did nothing to deserve the ill words that are leaving your tongue."

"Watch it, boy," Benedict's voice was low, threatening.

"No," Will snapped. "I am not going to watch it. How do you know that it's Marie who implanted a crazy idea into the younger Lightworm's head, huh? How can you so confidently claim that it's not the other way around?"

"Will," Charlotte looked at him with sadness in her eyes. The boy read it immediately; it was the same look they all wore when confronting him. They were pitying him and Will despised it from the bottom of his dark and guarded soul. There was nothing he hated more than that feeling; they felt sorry for him.