CHAPTER FORTY ONE: DYING

I am not giving up on you, Herondale. So you cannot give up, either.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FORTY ONE: DYING

WHEN Marie Wayland opened her eyes, the gigantic metallic creature was gone. The gray mechanical parts of it were scattered across the dark floor, serving as the only sign that the creature existed in the first place.

Her ears were buzzing, causing her to blink rapidly as Gabriel Lightwood held her in his arms. She noticed him moving his lips, a long gash creasing at the right side of his face, but she couldn't make out what he was saying. The ringing in her head was growing louder with each passing second, making her press her own hands against them. She shut her eyes tightly, trying to muffle the paining sound.

"You're all right," Gabriel's voice sounded distant, but it was enough to pull her out of her daze. Her head spun around as she attempted examining the dusty room they were in. Will was covering Tessa's body with his own. Jem had a stele in his hand, trying to heal himself. Henry was slouched against the wall, gently murmuring words into Charlotte's ear.

"Nate!" Marie recognized Tessa's shout. She had somehow managed to wriggle out of Will's grip, crossing the room in a matter of seconds.

A large spear was coming out of Nathaniel's chest, pinning him to the pillar nearby. Around the metallic spear was a growing splotch of crimson, staining the man's clothes as he struggled to breathe. His hands were curled around it, pulling at it desperately.

Marie felt her body being supported by Gabriel, arm circling around her waist as he lifted both of them up. Together, they watched as Tessa pulled the spear out of Nathaniel's flesh, barely managing to set him down.

"Nate," Tessa called his name, allowing his head to rest in her lap. By now, she had changed into her old self.

"Tessie," his voice was rough, his eyes scanning his own state. He coughed with difficulty, watching as more blood poured out of his wound.

Tessa shook her head, pressing both of her hands against his chest. "Oh, God," she muttered, her voice raising as she turned to face Marie. "Marie, please-"

But Marie knew it was too late. The pool of blood that surrounded him and Tessa was growing larger by the second and since Nathaniel wasn't a Shadowhunter, there weren't many things she could do.

"I'm dying. I know," he coughed again, more blood pouring out. His mouth twisted into a frown as a jolt of pain roamed through his body. "Don't you understand? I've failed the Magister. He'll kill me anyway. And he'll make it slow." Nathaniel's palm lingered over Tessa's. "Leave it, Tessie. I'm not being noble. You know I'm not that."

She shook her head. "I should leave you here to die alone in your own blood. That's what you'd do if it were me."

"Tessie, the Magister was never going to hurt you."

"Mortmain," she said. "Nate, where is he? Please. Tell me where he is."

"He-" Nate choked on his own blood. "Tessie... I - I'm dying. I'm really dying-"

"There's nothing to be afraid of, Nate," Tessa silenced all of her questions, whispering to her brother.

"Not for you, maybe. You were always - the good one. I'm going to burn, Tessie." His voice died on his lips, eyes widening in realization. "Tessie, where's your angel?"