CHAPTER FORTY FOUR: ANNOUNCING

That is demon pox. You had evidence that demon pox existed and you didn't mention it to me! Et tu, Brute!◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR: ANNOUNCING

TESSA greeted Marie the moment she stepped her foot into the Institute. She hadn't expected to encounter anyone, much less be pulled into a bone-crushing embrace by her friend, who by the looks of it, had been delighted to share something with her.

Marie had only begun to realize the reason behind Tessa's bright grin the moment she spilled out the news of James Carstairs proposing to her.

To say that Marie Wayland hadn't foreseen James' intentions would have been a terrible understatement. She had been aware of the growing affection and love between the pair, being the one to witness James breaking down in her very own arms as he spoke of his feelings toward Tessa. Nevertheless, such an announcement cleared a fog of unpleasantness that followed Marie that day.

A wide smile had decorated her pink lips, words of congratulations offered to Tessa before the girl began begging her to keep the news a secret until Jem and herself were ready to openly announce the engagement. Marie had, of course, agreed, promising to keep her lips shut.

Then, as the friends exchanged another tight hug, Tessa had taken a hold of Marie's wrist and pulled her into the drawing room.

Everyone had already been there. Charlotte was seated behind her desk, Henry right next to her. Sophie had been standing by the fireplace, enjoying the warmth. Jem had already been seated into an armchair, Will - with a cup of hot tea in his hands - slouched in the armchair across his parabatai.

It took every ounce of Marie's strength not to laugh when she noticed Will spilling the hot beverage onto his shirt, being too busy with allowing his eyes to become preoccupied with her presence.

He seemed tired; more than usually. It didn't really take the girl by surprise, considering that she had known that he was out in London last night, doing Angel-knows-what. Still, his overall appearance made her chest feel warm and fuzzy. No matter how exhausted he looked, Will was always divine. With raven hair that was an absolute contrast of his pale skin and with blue eyes that made Marie drown in their intensity, Will Herondale was a force that drew Marie Wayland into him. And no matter how persistent she was in her wish to keep her distance and resist the boy's charm, she couldn't. There was an invisible string that tied their hearts together, making them want to never let go of each other.

"Hello, everyone," Marie nodded politely as her hands unbuttoned her cloak, setting in on a chair that was nearby.

"Where were you?" Will was the first one to ask, but for the first time - his question wasn't bitter or meant to tease. He appeared genuinely interested. "I was looking for you."

"Outside," Marie replied, taking in the sight of his wet locks. "Same as you."

Their gazes collided and Marie found herself unable to move. A gentle smile was present on his lips, making her wonder what had really happened in the time span of a few hours.

"Well," Charlotte cleared her throat loudly. "We are all here, then." She spared everyone a significant glance. "As you probably know, we are near the end of the two-week period granted to us by Consul Wayland. We have not discovered the whereabouts of Mortmain. According to Enoch, the Silent Brothers have examined Nathaniel Gray's body and learned nothing from it, and as he is dead, we can learn nothing from him."