CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: ENCHANTED

You once told me you wanted more. Do you want it still?◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: ENCHANTED

♪ : seafret - love won't let me leave

"DID it work?"

Gideon Lightwood, dressed in an elegant, obsidian suit and with a navy mask on his face, was the first one to greet Marie and Gabriel. Standing on top of a curving stone staircase that rose in their backyard and gave way to a backdoor of the vast manor of the Lightwood family, Gideon glanced at the pair who approached him. His little brother had his arm around Marie's lower back, supporting the brunette girl as they climbed up the stairs.

Both of them seemed distressed and exhausted. Their eyes carried a heavy sign of struggle and concern, but shy and shaky smiles managed to make an appearance on their lips.

"We believe so, brother," Gabriel spoke as the pair approached the top of the staircase and came to stand on the large terrace. The younger Lightwood slowly let go of Marie's frame, allowing the girl to lean against the stone fence. His forest green orbs met her hazel ones instantly. "Are you all right?"

The Wayland girl's knees wobbled slightly, threatening to give up on her and making Gabriel's hand reach out immediately to offer her support. He gently took hold of Marie's upper arm, drawing her frame to lean against his taller one.

He wasn't in his best state either, but he always found strength to offer support to the girl. With a wrinkled shirt and top button left undone, Gabriel let out a shaky breath. "Easy," he uttered. "Can you stand on your own?"

"I believe I am just dizzy," a whisper escaped Marie's lips as her hand flew to her forehead. A light fever followed her like a shadow, but the girl assumed it was nothing to worry about.

Events she and Gabriel had endured in the past hour or so took its toll on them. From the very beginning of the night to the end of their parabatai ceremony, everything was draining and laced in a veil of uncertainty. It was only naturally for their bodies to begin showing signs of tiredness and exhaustion.

Surely, they had achieved a major victory against the darkness and demons that attacked them, but the instant they woke up from their illusion, Marie sensed the unresting, gruesome feeling that resided in the pit of her stomach. While unusual, but matching white parabatai runes rested exactly where the pair drew them, symbolizing a new union being formed, Marie couldn't discard the worrying look Imogen Aldridge had spared them.

Marie could hear Gabriel's voice calling to her, slightly worried and ushered. She even felt his hands examining her body for any possible injuries, but she didn't react immediately. The only thing the girl could do was drown in Imogen's haunting orbs, almost as if she were pulled inside of Imogen's subconsciousness.

While the warlock gave the girl a comforting smile, Marie knew something was wrong. She was only made sure of it when she heard Imogen's words ringing in the back of her mind. It was odd; Marie was the only one that could hear them, as if Imogen had possessed the powers of a Silent Brother. Whatever you do, don't allow your first child to have a parabatai.

Then, the woman disappeared, leaving the new parabatai pair to embrace each other and head to where they were needed.

"Well," Gideon pulled Marie out of her daze. "I am glad to hear everything went more or less smoothly. However, now that you're here, I believe we should head inside. Father is going to be furious enough with the two of you for meddling with his and Consul's plans, we needn't him killing us immediately. Especially not for something as simple as being late to a party filled with demons."