CHAPTER FORTY SIX: LOVING

I missed you, Celine. Every day and every hour. And the worst part about it was that I couldn't tell you. I couldn't tell you about what I've been feeling.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FORTY SIX: LOVING

♪ : ursine vulpine ft. annaca - wicked game

"WHAT just happened back there?"

"Marie, I thought the two of you were-"

"Would you stop pestering her?" Will's voice ended the sudden wave of questions that broke inside the carriage.

The obsidian-haired boy was seated in between Marie and Tessa, allowing him to patiently examine the Shadowhunter girl whose gaze had been glued to whatever scene they were passing. Ever since they had climbed the carriage, Marie had turned to quietude. Gideon did the same, up until his nerves got the best of him; in a matter of seconds, his emerald eyes turned to Marie, his voice slightly annoyed as he began questioning her.

At first, she had debated whether or not she should respond. The cold aching in her chest was growing, creating a weight that threatened to crush her chest.

"Look, Will," Gideon spoke. "I am not trying to put the blame on her. I am simply asking why hadn't she tried to win him for us? I thought that if I weren't enough to persuade him, she would help - considering that they're parabatai now."

"Perhaps he does not understand yet," Charlotte said. "Give him time."

"He does understand," Marie finally said, ripping her gaze from the outside world. She faced Gideon, suddenly shrinking under his emerald orbs. They reminded her of Gabriel's so much. "He wanted to stay back for the two us. He wanted to stay back to inform us if your father suddenly gets contacted by Mortmain."

"What?" Gideon's eyes widened.

"We didn't really argue with each other," Marie proceeded. "We had to make it look believable in order to break our engagement. He also needed to gain Benedict's trust and there was no other way for him to do so unless he stood by his side, without questioning his father's beliefs or coming with us."

Gideon shook his head, huffing loudly at his younger brother's behavior.

"You mustn't blame him," Marie's hazel eyes worriedly skipped between Gideon and Charlotte. "He wanted to do this for us."

"But isn't it dangerous?" Tessa questioned.

"Extremely," Will was the one to answer. "But I have to give him applause for playing a martyr. His decision to stay behind might aid us in the future."

Everyone turned to Will, surprised by his sudden lack of a sarcastic remark. He wasn't known as being the biggest admirer of Gabriel Lightwood... or any Lightwood, in general.

"Anyways," Will disregarded their confused gazes, turning to Gideon. "How did you know? We only just discovered what happened to your mother. And Sophie said you had no idea-"

"I had Cyril deliver two notes," Charlotte jumped into the conversation. "One for Benedict and one for Gideon."

"He slipped it into my hand while my father was not looking," Gideon informed. "I had only just time to read it before you came in."