CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: APOLOGIZING

You might not be a Fairchild by blood, but like you said, you're the little sister I never had. You were there for me for as long as I can remember and now, that you're about to face the darkness, I'd like to be there for you - at least a little. Let this necklace remind you that I will always be there - if not physically, than in spirits.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: APOLOGIZING

WILL Herondale entered the Institute after midnight.

Another round of pointless strolling around London, with droplets of heavy rain dancing to the rhythm of the wind, was behind him. With memories of Wales and his family resurfacing every now and then, Will Herondale could almost taste the freshness of the green grass of the countryside and smell the scent of rain which - in his mind - was at least ten times colder in Wales than it was in London. Before he stepped into the Institute, Will was sure he could even register the faint melody of his sisters' laughter echoing in his ears, threatening to go and rat him out to their mother.

Unfortunately, he had to lock the memories and throw the key away before the snippets of his past managed to crawl deep beneath his skin.

"Stupid," the black-haired boy shook his head.

The Institute was washed in thick darkness, several witchilights faintly burning in the far distance. Will was sure that all the residents had retracted to their respectful bedrooms, praying to get several hours of much-deserved rest.

The boy felt his stomach churn, yearning for a bite of delicious food. He had skipped supper and now - more than ever - he felt the hunger getting to him. The boy had wanted to sneak into the kitchen and seek the meals Bridget had prepared for the day, but the sound of footsteps echoing in the corridor that led to the heart of the Institute changed his priorities.

He had desperately hoped the echo was a result of Marie Wayland being awake.

Ever since the brunette girl had shared the news of choosing to become Gabriel's parabatai, Will couldn't stop thinking about her. Not that the boy could stop before that, either, but this time - the thoughts were the ones of hope. They were filled with light and faith that perhaps the future had something planned for them after all.

Such a thought frightened and made Will giddy inside, all the same.

Although the boy knew he should stay away from Marie, an invisible force was pushing him toward the girl. It wasn't a gentle push, either. It was a strong one, one that made things collide furiously.

Will was aware of his feelings toward Marie Wayland; there was no point in denying them. He had acted on them in the past, knowing the consequences, and it left him feeling scared.

That had, however, resulted in spiking Will's determination of breaking his dark curse. He didn't want to consciously harm the very girl his heart had wanted - so Will made a promise. He made a promise that he would get rid of the darkness that tormented his soul before he dared step closer to Marie Wayland.

"James," the Herondale boy's eyes squinched as they observed a silver-haired silhouette passing through the hallway.

Startled, Jem lifted his head up. The boy had backed away from the door he was about to knock on. It was Tessa's door, Will had recognized them.