CHAPTER FORTY: BURSTING

Hello, Marie. I'd say I'm glad to see you, but then, I'd be lying.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FORTY: BURSTING

"DOUBTLESS where Jessamine and Nate accomplished the majority of their courtship," Will announced with a smirk on his face.

The Shadowhunters had arrived at the location of the warehouse, managing to get past the high iron fence and locked gate. The moldy, black sign of Mortmain and Co. greeted them, but none paid much attention.

Using the power of his stele, Will quickly led the group inside the warehouse, allowing himself to observe the first dark room they entered. Other than a golden cedar desk which still had several things left on it, a flower-patterned sofa and a tall lamp, the room appeared empty.

Jem lifted his cane, poking the sofa lightly as Charlotte hurried toward the desk and began her search.

"I didn't realize you'd taken up such a strong anti-courtship stance," Will commented, glancing at Jem.

"I would too, if I were to come here," Gabriel spoke in low tone, meeting Will's gaze. The boy was trying to get rid of the spider webs that managed to get stuck in his brown locks. "The place is horrid."

Will shrugged his shoulders, somewhat agreeing with the Lightwood boy. Marie, on the other hand, approached Jem with a gentle smile. "Are you all right?"

Jem nodded slowly. "It's just that the thought of Nate Gray touching anyone-" Jem appeared clearly disturbed, turning to meet Will's gaze. "And Jessamine is so convinced he loves her. If you could see her, I think even you might pity her, Will."

"I would not," Will replied, glancing at Marie for a short second. "Unrequited love is a ridiculous state, and it makes those in it behave ridiculously." He began tugging at his injured arm, as if it brought him a new wave of pain. "Charlotte? The desk?"

"Nothing." She shut the last drawer. "Some papers listing the prices of tea and the times of tea auctions, but other than that, nothing but dead spiders."

"How romantic," Marie heard Will utter under his breath, but she had already been drifting herself from the group, heading toward an adjacent office alongside Gabriel.

"The floor is clear," Marie whispered to him, her finger pointing toward the floor. "Someone was here."

"And yet this office is as empty as it gets," the Lightwood boy shook his head.

Every single one of the rooms on the first floor were quiet and without any lead they needed, making the Shadowhunters gather before the wooden steps that led to the second floor. Marie held her witchlight close to her, but even then, she hadn't managed to get rid of all the silent shadows that followed her. She almost shrieked when she saw the bags that were tilted against the walls, resembling bodies.

"Broken bits of loose-leaf tea," Henry reassured everyone. "Orange pekoe, from the looks of it."

"So, what?" Gabriel questioned. "This is a dead end?"

"To be honest," Jem began. "I am perfectly willing to accept that this was an active tea-trading office at one point, but it's clearly been shuttered for years, ever since Mortmain decided to interest himself in mechanisms instead. And yet, like you noticed, the floor is clear of dust." Jem took a hold of Marie's wrist, directing it a little down. "There has been activity here - more than simply Jessamine and Nate's meeting in a disused office."