CHAPTER ELEVEN: BROKEN

Don't say it. Please don't say it. If you do, it becomes real and I'd rather think you felt nothing for me than knowing that you do, but I can't have you.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER ELEVEN: BROKEN

WAKING up had never felt so good to Marie Wayland. As she rouse from her heavy slumber, she couldn't help but think just how blessed she was to experience consciousness once again. Even though she had felt as if she had slept on a bed that was made of stones, Marie was beyond grateful for the ability to open her eyes.

Not even the fact that her clothes were damp, like a flower covered in dew, could snatch away the relief she had felt. Golden sunshine was pouring in through the open windows, greeting her awakened heart. Fresh air followed along, allowing the girl's lungs to expand. She could hear the birds singing a sweet melody of life, reminding her that she was no longer to be alone. The bizarre nightmares and memories that had previously rummaged through her mind were tamed, locked away in a safe box in the back of her brain.

"Marie Wayland," a sweet voice drew her attention. "Welcome to the land of living."

"Jem," Marie breathed out the boy's name. "I didn't notice you."

"I could tell that," Jem chuckled, his features relaxing. The silver-haired boy approached Marie, offering her a charming smile. "You looked puzzled to be here. Relieved, but puzzled."

"Well, yes," Marie returned a weak smile. She couldn't quite fathom how she ended up in the Institute, in the Infirmary - nonetheless. Last thing she remembered was being in Imogen's manor and then nothing. Darkness took over her being, guiding her to a world of terrors. "How did I end up here? I was-"

"We know, Marie," the boy took Marie's hand in his, squeezing it lightly. Jem didn't want Marie to be overwhelmed, but knew that it was better to tell her everything before Will got a chance to do so. "We found your message. We know you were in Birmingham with Gabriel."

Upon mentioning Gabriel's name, Marie's pupils dilated. "Oh my God. Gabriel! Is he okay?"

"Don't worry," Jem shook his head. "Gabriel is fine. He was the one who brought you here, actually. He was rather worried about your state. Poor lad rode here without any rest. He had mentioned that he had wanted to stay until you woke up, but his father visited us, requiring Gabriel's presence at home."

Marie sighed, closing her eyes for a moment. Finding out that nothing had happened to the boy who voluntarily accompanied her on a selfish task, calmed the girl down. At least she hurt no one in the process of uncovering the truth about her family.

Nobody but yourself.

The words echoed in her mind, sending a sharp pang through her heart. What she experienced in her cruel dreams was only a beginning. She still had to experience the consequences of her discovery, only this time - she would have to face them in real life. She would have to stand in front of her father and demand the truth. Anything that would somehow explain the memories she had retrieved.

"Marie?"

The brunette blinked, lifting her head to meet Jem's gaze. "Sorry, you said something?"