18. Sexy but scary

Chapter 18: Sexy but scary.

I watched as Ren practiced his dance routine for the music video. He got it wrong every time and he cursed.

"Think dude." I said, sitting in the corner of the basement, "What are you doing wrong?"

He was sweating from head to toe despite the cold and he glared at me, "I don't know, Kara. Just tell me."

I shook my head, "Think it over once more."

He was panting and dropped down beside me. I gave him the water bottle, "I've been thinking my ass off about this for the past forty-five minutes. Just tell me what I'm doing wrong."

I sighed, "Just-"

"Kara."

"Okay okay." I said, "You're not going with the beat and you're starting the routine about a second later than you're supposed to."

He blinked and dragged a hand down his face, "I'm so screwed. The rehearsal is tomorrow and I don't even have the perfect piece yet."

"You're doing it with another girl, right?"

"Yeah. Her name is Jackie something. I need to teach her the choreography too."

"So its a duet and you're not even perfect with your part?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Yeah." he said, "Don't give me that look. Those music people are flying from Vancouver tomorrow."

I sighed, "I'm sorry Ren. But you're usually more prepared than this."

"Yeah but all those times I had you." he gritted his teeth like he'd just realized what he'd said, " didn't mean-"

"Its fine." I said, "I get it."

Even though Ren and I were friends again, the topic of dance was still something we were yet to discuss. Neither of us knew how to bring it up. I had danced with other people in the past and so did he but we both knew that we worked best with each other.

"Um, do you have the whole choreo figured out?" I asked, "With the girl too, I mean."

"Sort of." he said, "I still have to think about a few bits and pieces here and there."

I got up, "Show me."

He frowned, "Show you what?"

"The whole choreo." I said, "Show me what you have so far."

"You mean you want to learn it?" his eyes widened.

"Yeah." I answered, "You need someone to help you with this, Ren."

He chewed his lip, "Its kinda hard."

"You think I can't manage it?" I asked playfully crossing my arms.

"I didn't say-"

"I'm just kidding, you idiot." I said, "I wanna help."

He cleared his throat, getting up, "Okay. Come on. I have a few ideas."

He wasn't kidding. The routine was hard. But this was Ren so he had also figured out the girl's part without ever dancing with a partner. The whole thing required a bunch of twists and flips and turns that I struggled to do. I mentally cursed myself because I could've learnt the whole dance in a much shorter time than this in the past.

By the time I had managed to get just an idea of the dance, it was already time for dinner. We were both panting and sweating and my leg had a small cut from when I had fallen onto the floor.

"Can you come with me tomorrow to rehearsal?" he asked as we switched off the lights.

"Wish I could but did you forget that I have this thing call school?" I retorted.