26. Duct tape my mouth.

Chapter 26: Duct tape my mouth.

I could step away. I could easily just turn back and go to the hotel, forgetting that this had happened. That my sister was here, in front of me and heavily pregnant at that too. But I didn't walk away and turned to see Luke's face the same as mine. Shocked. Confused. Mortified.

My sister could've turned away like she had five years ago. I wouldn't have been surprised at that. But she didn't. Instead, she stepped forward and I instinctively took a step back, "Kara."

I flinched at her voice, the voice that I thought I would never hear again. I felt someone's hand squeeze mine and I didn't have to turn to see that it was Calvin.

"Kara." Melanie said again and I averted my eyes from her, from the pleading look she gave me, "Luke, I-" she cut herself off and ran a hand through her hair, the other one on her stomach.

"You're pregnant." Luke finally broke the silence and swallowed looking at me, "Kara, she's pregnant. Laney, wha- when?"

"Uh, yeah." she said slowly and took a step forward. I stepped back again and stumbled into someone, "Six months. Kara-"

"I want to go back to the hotel." I said, turning away, "I have packing to do."

Andrew frowned, "Kara-"

"If you want to go, then I'll come with you." Sadie said suddenly and grabbed my arm, "You wanna go, K?"

I looked back at my sister, at my friends who stared at me warily, at my brother who was still staring at the baby bump with awe and I took a deep breath, "Can we have a minute?"

Andrew, Calvin and Sadie backed away hesitantly and then it was just us three. Me, Luke and Melanie. Never thought we'd all be together like this again.

I crossed my arms across my chest and the glare I sent her made her and my brother flinch, "Hey Melanie."

Luke ran a hand through his hair, "You live here?"

"Uh, no. I-I live in Jersey." she said, "What are you, um, doing here? In New York?"

"Class trip." I answered curtly. Eight million people in this city and I run into her of all people.

She looked around, "Look, um, I'm free now. Do you wanna get breakfast? I know a place."

Luke and I glanced at each other and he nodded, "Okay. Lead the way, Mel."

_

Ten minutes later, we were seated in a small restaurant bustling with people. Melanie struggled a little to sit down and even though Luke helped her, I made no move to assist. I didn't answer any of her questions on the way to the restaurant even though Luke did.

"How's mom?" she asked, once we had ordered the food.

"She's fine." I snapped.

"And dad?"

"He's the same."

"You're pregnant." Luke said again for the millionth time.

Melanie rolled her eyes, "Yes I'm pregnant."

"With a baby?" he asked.

"No. With a dinosaur." she answered sarcastically and I resisted the urge to chuckle at her answer, "How are you guys? God, you've grown up so much."

"Of course we grew up, Laney." I said, "Its been over five years."

"I know Kara." she sighed, "and I know I owe you an explanation-"