36. Wood comes from trees.

Chapter 36: Wood comes from trees.

"What is it, Wesley? Just tell me."

"Nope."

"Wesley."

"Sunshine."

"Is it that bad?" I huffed and put the phone on speaker as I walked into my room to change, "Seriously Wesley, how bad is it?"

"Its not that bad." he sighed on the other side, "Its not as extreme as you're making it to be even. Seriously K, you thought my best friend was a sex addict?"

"Shut up." I groaned, "You weren't telling me so I had to guess."

"I told you that's it not my secret to share." he said again, emphasizing on every word, "Just forget about it."

"You know I can't do that." I sighed and changed into cropped leggings, "C'mon Wesley."

"I said I can't tell you, Kara." he said calmly, "He is still the same person. Why does it bother you so much that he won't share this single detail with you?"

"It just does okay." I pulled on the red shirt that I always wore around him. I wore it so much around him that it actually had a whiff of his cologne, "I won't tell him you told me."

"Still no." Wesley's voice said through the phone, "Do you think fishes can have sex with humans?"

"Bye Wesley." I hung up the call and looked at myself in the mirror, while I brushed my hair. I gave myself a thumbs-up, "You look great."

Luke poked his head through the connecting bathroom, "Are you going to Calvin's house?"

"How do you know that?" I narrowed my eyes at him whilst grabbing my stuff.

Luke shrugged, "You always wear that shirt around him."

"What's wrong with this shirt?" I pulled at the material, "And what do you want?"

"Nothing." he shook his head and handed me a notebook, "He forgot this in the locker room. Just give it back."

I flipped through the English notebook. Every single corrected page had a star or a 'very good' or an 'excellent' on it. His handwriting was neat and elegantly slanted in blue ink. I had seen his other books before but every one of them had doodles around the corner. Not this. It was clean and neat and there wasn't even a fold on a single page.

The door swung open the moment I rang the bell but to my dismay, Joey stood on the other side. He frowned, "Hey."

"Hey." He moved aside so I could step in and take off my sandals. Sammy was barking loudly somewhere in the house, "Is Calvin home?"

"Yeah he's upstairs." Joey said, "And since you're here, can you also check why that damn dog is barking so much? He's upstairs and I don't wanna go up there."

I shot him a dry look, "Lazy much?"

"Just saving my energy, Kara." he called back as I climbed up the stairs. Sammy's barking grew louder as I approached Calvin's room. I knocked on the door but he didn't open. So I pushed it open and gasped.

"Oh my God!"

Calvin thrashed violently on the bed. So violently that I was surprised that he hadn't fallen down yet. I didn't realize I was frozen onto the spot until I heard Sammy bark. I flinched and turned in the direction of the sound to find the golden retriever outside on a balcony. There was a balcony?

I shook my head and hurried to the bed. His arms flailed around and the sounds coming from his mouth were incoherent as I shook him. He didn't move.

"Calvin." I called out his name again and again, my hands cupping his face, "Oh my god, Cal. Shit man, wake up."