Chapter Twenty-Two

Greyson-

I breathed in and out. Hard. I watched the leaves move slightly in the wind before a strange smell hits my nose lightly. A smell that I have only smelled once before. I wave at my pack members, shaking my head to go no farther. This is no longer a hunt, but a war.

Crazed wolves is what I smelled. Pure blood, pure rotten flesh. After the smell hits our noses, the crazed laughter and sickly screaming hits soon after. I mind-link my beta Nell and tell him to get our members back to the pack. He follows as I say, leaving me alone in the cold woods, waiting for the monsters that haunt the packs and give the people of the werewolf world nightmares.

'Warn my father and put the pack on lockdown. I'll be there soon.' The mind-link is sent before I cut off all communication and focus on my senses. I move closer to the sound, baring my claws on the tree as I jump on to a high limb, keeping my scent out of the low winds. 

I watch as these brown, furry mobs run through the woods loudly, and messy. They seem not to care if their seen or heard, it's like they want to be found. I watch them carefully, watching their every move, until they stop below the tree I'm in.

"Aren't we close to a pack? I smell flesh." One of them says as he shifts. The other shift back and nod, nodding towards the direction of my pack.

"They smell so fresh and normal.. not like disgusting rogues. I'm tired of surviving off of those. I need the real meat that we were promised. Not this disgusting shit to keep us alive until the final War." Another one says, looking around at his peers.

I sit very still, watching these disgusting creatures that stand below me, planning to eat my people and others.

"You remember what the Alpha said. We cannot eat the people until the final War. That was our promise to him." Another one says, sitting down on a log as the others pace around. "We cannot disappoint him, he made us better than we were."

"Did he?" A young boy steps forward, his face red. "Because five minutes ago, I was running around not knowing who I was and where I was. Now I have my memory back, the one of being taken after he forced me to kill my family. How did Alpha Dean make me better? I'm a murderer. I don't deserve a next meal." The young boy stood tall, a warrior stance as he waited for challengers. But there was nothing, just silence.

"That's what I fucking thought. I am done murdering innocent families. I will fight this stupid disease he put inside me, who knows? Maybe I can win the fight. All I know is that Alpha Morgan will save us. She won't become one of us, there is no way he'll break her. She's fighting against the shots and mind games. But maybe as her being our commander, we'll live. He is-" My eyes widen at the missing Alpha's name. But, their bodies start shaking as they all turn back into their wolves and run back in the direction they came. 

I mind-link Nell and tell him it's okay to come out of the minor lockdown and that I was on my way. 'Tell Alpha Mark, I have news on his daughter." I shut the link down, jumping from the tree and running to my pack, feeling the fire in my muscles as my wolf growls.

I reach the barrier and nod at the guards before running to the pack house. Alpha Mark and my father, Alpha Matthew are standing there, ready to greet me with shorts and a shirt. "My daughter, is she..?" Alpha Mark begins to say but I shake my head, seeing the relief run through his body as his shoulders sag. 

"We need to talk in private. I hope that's acceptable?" I ask him, and he nods quickly.

"Of course, anything." He walks inside the pack house with me and up the flights of stairs until we reach my office. I open the door and they follow behind me, sitting in front of my desk as I walk over to my window.

"She is alive." I say quickly, quietly, and calmly as I turn to Mark. He nods, waiting for me to go on.

"But?" He asks.

"But, she's in Alpha Dean's pack." I sigh, as I run a hand down my face. 

"I thought you killed him years ago?" Dad asks, looking at Mark with pure confusion.

"I did. Well.. I was going to." Mark sighs, looking up with dread. "I let him go because it was the last war, Morgan wanted peace and so I thought I'd show her I would try for her by letting him live." Dad nods, and looks at me, upset.

"I don't know where he resides now. But they were coming from the South. They ran in a large pack, but it seems their 'leader' is a young boy who wants nothing to do with the pack. We can use that as leverage? If we can hunt the pack down. If we use him, maybe we can save her." I mumble the last part, but it doesn't go unnoticed.

"What do you mean save her, Greyson?" My wolf growls from the lack of Alpha but I shake it off. 

"They said something about her becoming a commander to them. She is also getting turned into a crazed wolf, but she is, fighting against it, according to them." Mark starts crying, immediately breaking down at the idea of his daughter becoming turned.

"It's okay Mark, we'll find her." Dad says, his hand on Mark's arm.

Mark shakes his head, looking up. "Not soon enough." 

"I can assure you, I'll find her. Do you have something of her scent?" I ask, and Mark nods, running to grab something as I sit down on my couch, running my hand down my stressed face as my dad watches me sadly.

"Is she a goner?" Dad asks and I shake my head.

"If anyone can live through this, it'll be her." Mark runs in, and the best scent I have ever smelt hits my nose, invading all of my senses. My body rumbles, my wolf growls loudly, and my eyes turn black.

The woman who was prophesized by the Moon Goddess to never have a mate, now has one as my wolf growls. "Mate."