Chapter Six

The smell of fire burns in my pack as I rush out of my room, looking for my members who flee their homes and the pack house. "Nate! Commanders! Father!" I scream for the people I care about, the people I need right now. "Anna!" Some people are on fire, as the pack house burns up in flames, praying that the snow will stop the flames from engulfing their skin.

The only place that's not on flames, is my home.

"Alpha, people are burning alive!" A woman screams as I run into the pack house. I see people rushing past me, to get out, to save themselves. The commanders run down the stairs from my office, looking at me in fright.

"Gather everyone to the safe spot!" They nod as they help people out. I look up the stairs to see Nate running down. "Nate go, get them safe!" He looks at me, with fear, and pain.

"Morgan, we have to go." I shake my head, pushing him out of the burning house.

"No Nate, you have to go. They're coming for me. Make sure no one comes back for me, save yourselves. I love you." I hand him my watch that is counting down from 48 hours, and 21 minutes exactly. "Go or else I'll kill myself." He nods, tears running down his cheek.

"Who's coming?" I shake my head, and hand him a letter that explains it all.

"Run and don't stop. Save everyone. I love you, tell them I'm sorry." I push him and he looks back one more time, before running away, leaving me inside of the burning house. I hear screaming from the second floor, and my body runs the stairs, moving to the sound.

"Hello?" I dread the sound of the voice that screams back for me. And I feel my whole body fight to keep going, to go into the room.

"Anna!" I scream, kicking the door open to see the beautiful girl burning in flames, the smell of flesh too much for me to handle. Tears run down my cheeks, my gold eyes meeting her brown ones. I feel my body fall, as she screams louder.

"Morgan, help me!" Her long brown hair is no longer there, burning with the flames. I grab the fire extinguisher on the wall beside the doorway, and spray her, my sob coming out with the spray.

My hands shake as I pick up her shaking body. She whimpers as the ceiling starts falling around us, and blocks the doorway. "I'm so sorry love.." I pull her tighter to me, making her scream and I jump from the balcony doors, off the second floor, and fall to the ground.

My body takes the blunt of the fall, my eyes shutting tightly as my back hits the ground, and my bones break. I start screaming as oxygen leaks from my lungs on the inside of my body. I punctured them. I do not worry about myself as my wounds will heal quicker, with my power. I grab Anna from off top of me, and put her beside me, forcing my body up off the ground, feeling my rib puncture right through my skin, watching the bloody white bone stick through my stomach.

I grit my teeth as I look down at Anna, watching her shake violently, her eyes on my wound. "Alpha.." I shake my head, putting my bloody hand on her hair and pushing it from her face, as I look up and see my running pack members disappear into the woods, to the safe spot. She could make it, if I can run her. If I can get her the medical help.. but as I look at her slow breathing, and her burnt skin that is black and bloody everywhere. 

"I'm gonna die, Morgan." I shake my head and shush her quietly, pulling her in my arms, as I rock her on my lap. 

"You are going to live. You are so strong my darling. You always have been, and you will never be less than that. Do not give up." I smile through my tears as I hold her closer.

"Alpha, you told me that- that-" she coughs up blood, black soot falling from her skin. "Crying is weakness." I shake my head, running my hand through what's left of her hair. 

"It is only weak if you do not love the person you are crying about." She smiles, her eyes shutting slowly.

"No, no, no, Anna open your eyes. Anna wake up." My sob comes out loudly and I pull her tighter to me, this time no whimper, no shaking, no scream or cry comes from her mouth. The tears flow down my cheeks in waves, as I feel the pain of the death of my pack member in my mind and body. My scream resounds through the empty air, and I see the final members of my pack run into the woods looking back at me, but they never stop.

I planned for these fires after the call with Alpha Matthew last night, he said they knew where my pack was, and when they were going to attack. This was the first attack of many to come, and I knew that the Whitaker Pack would come for me soon. They were ruthless killers just like the first Alpha himself that created the pack, Wale Whitaker. 

Wale Whitaker went into packs, and burned them alive in the night for power and land. He believed that the burned bodies and corpses of wolves gave him an evil power that he could hold against everyone else. 

He created the first war. And I ended the last war. 

"Anna, you were so much more than a commander.. or a girl I was training to take my place one day. You were loved. That is the greatest strength and power to have." I cry harder, holding her burned bloody body closer to mine, as my bone sticks out painfully. 

This time, I speak the words I always have to say when someone dies at the hands of me, or in my existence. But, I speak it with a different word this time, meaning it with all I have.

"You've long lived, my brave."