Chapter Nine

Nate:

The pack was laying low in the safe spot that Morgan gave the directions to in the envelope she handed me. It was mapped out about twenty yards from the end of our barrier. I look around at the pack, some members burned, some members crying, all of us feeling heavy inside. I stand up, moving to Mark, Morgan's father.

"Hey.." I smile at him, sitting down beside him on the cold cement ground. The spot was a cell under a tree, hidden in a brush. We could barely find it. Luckily, Morgan's father had been here when it was built, so he found it before any of the rest. The cell had shelves full of medical equipment, and food in cans. She had kept it ready, in case of emergencies, under everyone's noses. 

"Hey Nate," he says, offering me a small grim corner smile before looking up, wincing. 

"You okay?" I ask worriedly, watching as the former Alpha winces again. 

He looks at me and shakes his head, sighing. He whispers in the loud cell. "I can feel her. She's in pain Nate. Something's very wrong." I nod my head, looking down as we all feel her pain. She is blocking everyone out, and every thing. She will not let us even know if she is okay, or what is going on.

"She protected everyone." I say quietly, looking down. I put my head in my hands, feeling pain as I think of my best friend from my childhood. "She told us to go, she threatened her life if we didn't go. I feel, like I should have stayed though." He grabs my arm, looking at me seriously.

"Don't say that. You did the right thing, and made the right choices. You need to be here for the members, as their beta. You have the envelope she gave you, did it just have a map?" I shake my head, looking confused.

"Actually, it had a paper in it. She also gave me this watch with a countdown. I haven't had the time to understand what any of it means." I hand her father the envelope and watch, which reads 39 hours and 2 minutes.

Eight hours and fifty-eight minutes have passed since I left her. 

"Nate, look." He opens a long paper, with Morgan's handwriting. I look at it carefully before Mark starts reading her elegant writing, his feelings getting to him as he sniffles towards the end, the strong man breaking. 

To Nate and my father,

I hope you understand why I didn't tell you of the pack attacks. I'm sure by now that you figure out I had known. It was not an easy decision to not say anything. But, it will all be explained shortly. It took you around four hours to get to the safe spot, if you did. But, I did time it correctly and made you go East. The Whitaker Pack was going to attack from the South. Anyways, the watch. The watch signifies a countdown. The countdown marks the time it'll take for you to wait in the cell properly until it's clear. I know this because of a call from Alpha Matthew. Once that time is up, you need to get yourselves and the pack to his pack, which is about one-hundred and fifty miles south of ours. You will be met with open arms. Get there, as fast as you can, your scents can be followed and that cannot happen. At all costs, make sure no one sees you or the others. They were killing other packs to find ours. They were not going to stop until they found me. So, I gave myself up at the attack. I plan on sacrificing myself to the Moon Goddess, but, if they get to me too soon, I will be forced to go with them. They have created these wolves that are crazed, their controlled by the leader. Matthew will fill you in on all of the details. We do not have much time, you have to keep everyone safe and calm in these times. These losses are nothing compared to the losses we would have taken if I had let you fight for me. But, some losses, are not worth losing. Get Anna prepared Nate, she will become Alpha and take my place once you get to Matthew's pack. I'm sad to say this is goodbye to you both, and to everyone else. Tell Anna, that this is what I was given when I became Alpha. Tell her the story behind it, and why it is so important. Make sure that she is full of love for the Moon Goddess. 

He holds up her necklace that she has never taken off. It is the moon, with the snow of the mountains behind it. A tear flows down his cheek as he keeps reading.

I've never had to say goodbye to anyone unless it was war, I've only had to see see you later. But, this is goodbye now. I haven't ever been good at love, or showing it, or even saying it. I'm sorry this is a sucky goodbye, but I know this is something you guys would have to do sooner or later. I love you guys. Keep everyone safe. Don't come looking for me, I won't be who you remember. I will already be gone. Hold on to yourselves. Nate, find your mate so I won't have to look down and hear you complaining about your life anymore or Riker. Dad.. hold on to Anna, she was just like me when I was younger. You will love her with every ounce of yourself, just like I have. She is special, always was, always will be. I love you, thank you for giving me this life.

Matthew will explain everything to you guys. Stay safe, stay alive.

You've lived long, my friends.

Love,

Morgan.