Chapter Four

I glare at Olson, who kneels on his knees in his cell, his head down. "My Alpha, I would never poison you. I have no reason to poison the one who gave us freedom." I watch him carefully, and look at Anna.

"Anna, how did you know it was poisoned?" I question her and she shakes her head, looking down.

"I smelled it when they were walking up the stairs. I had seen Olson set the plate down so he could get a drink. I- well- maybe it wasn't Olson.. but I know it was poisoned." I shake my head, sighing as I look at Olson.

"You sat the plate down Olson?" He nods, keeping his head low. "How did you or the others not smell the poison?" 

"The commanders and I have been out working in the mountains all day, our noses are all stuffed up and we're covered in blood from the warriors training. All we smell is blood when we can smell, the rest is our snot." I nod, and look at Nate.

"Let Olson go, and the other commanders."

"But Alpha, I don't think that is the right choice, the commanders were-" I put my hand up to Nate and he bows his head, shutting his mouth in respect. 

"Grab the man from earlier, put him on the post at the top of the mountain." I look at the man who glares back at me from behind the silver-laced bars. "Make sure he is bowed on his knees." I grab Annas shoulders and push her in front of me, and up the stairs until we are back into the kitchen of the pack house. 

"You're sure Olson did not do it? Or the other commanders?" She nods her head, looking up at me with her big bright eyes.

"I seen him set it down, and the other commanders kept walking. There was a lot of other pack members walking the stairs at that time because it was lunch hour." I nod my head, squeezing her shoulder once before handing her the plate, with the meat on it. 

"Eat it." My voice does not break, but she does. She looks at me with wide eyes, her mouth open and shaking. The fear rolls through her body in waves, and all I smell is her fright through the air. 

"What- But- Alpha- I didn't touch it.." I nod, pushing the poisoned meat closer to her.

"I never said you did, now eat it." She looks down at it, her hand slowly reaching for it. She picks it up, and looks at it closely, knowing her life could end in a minute if she bit it.

"Yes Alpha." She bows her head and pushes it toward her mouth, getting ready to take a bite.

I take it from her hand, and throw it in the trash, smiling at her. "Thank you for your honesty and bravery Anna, you're ready for your final training. That was a test of your loyalty to your Alpha." 

I hear thundering steps pounding up the stairs, and I look to see Nate, smiling at me. "Alpha, the prisoner is on the mountain, on the stake." I nod, and hold up my hand for him to wait for me. My eyes wander back down to Anna, and I grab her hand, kneeling to her height.

"You played a brave warrior today, and I will never forget that. You will be honored as a warrior, and not as a fighter. You are above your class and beyond. You yourself Anna, are a commander in the making." I nod at her, standing up as my long hair flows behind me in waves. I turn to my Beta. "Let's go to the prisoner." 

-

I've always enjoyed the walk up the long mountain, knowing what's waiting for me at the top. I do not enjoy the decisions I make. I do enjoy how the associates of the accused, are watching though. This makes things just a little bit sweeter for me. 

"You make good decisions Alpha." I smile at Beta Nate, and elbow him. 

"You offer good compliments when you want something. How's Riker?" He chuckles, elbowing me back.

"I don't know if you should've let him froze to death or not yet. He's annoying the shit out of me Morgan." This is how our friendship has always been, when no one else is around, not even the guards. Ever since we walked around in our diapers, and shifted for the first time, this has been us. When I became Alpha though, and went into training, things were never the same. I play the part of someone that is not me, and him? He plays someone that is himself. The truth is not always what you wish of it, but what is meant to be.

"I thought you would get quite annoyed with him after awhile. I didn't know if he would actually survive the walk down the mountain. I actually doubted it by a lot. That's why I made the deal." I chuckle, and he chuckles too, knowing I'm joking for the time being. 

"So, you figure out the note yet?" I shake my head, sighing.

"I'm honestly just hoping it was from this asshole, and I can just forget about all of it." I look at the tracks of my feet in the snow, and my tan skin against the white, cold blanket of water.

"War is coming, Morgan. You know it is. May not be from rebellions within this pack, but we know threats are more than what's just going through these letters. The isolation, the lack of people accidentally stumbling upon this pack. It's coming and we need to be ready." I nod my head, looking back up as the top of the mountain becomes closer in view. 

"We will be. We've never lost a war." I speak confident, but I fear the worst as all strong leaders do.

"Yes, but we haven't fought one in two hundred years either." I smile, and pat his arm.

"Do not worry about what has not yet happened. For we can still change, what hasn't been decided." He nods, and smiles back before we reach the top and move away from each other. Our smiles washed away, and met with silent, unwavering expressions.

"For rebellion, for treason, for punishment, for plans of murder, you will die for your crimes, in your own painful death." I kneel in the snow in front of him, whispering my prayer of the Moon Goddess, before saying what I always say as my final goodbye to all those I've killed. 

"You've lived long, my friend." I slash his wrists, his neck, and his chest, letting the blade go deep, but not deep enough to kill, as he screams for help. No one dares move, not even his four friends standing in the front, with wide eyes.

My final words rush through the air and stay there, my mouth never forming anything else, just like the rest of the ceremonies, until I've made my last slash for his mistakes and faults, for his crimes.

"When the sun rises, and his body becomes one with the blanket of ice, we live free, once again."