Chapter Eleven

Nate-

I look at Mark, his eyes on the letter. He puts the letter down on his lap, and I see the tear that runs down his cheek, until more follow. He puts his head in his hands, pulling his knees up to his chest, shaking his head. "Mark, I am so sorry.." I feel the tear run down my cheek too.

"She's not dead. Morgan.. I would've felt it," Mark says, looking at me.

"I know.. but she hasn't responded. We can't even feel her in the territory anymore, let alone know she is alive." He shakes his head, before he finally lets go, hiccupping in the suddenly quiet room.

"Anyone see Anna?" I ask, and then somebody suddenly cries out, and I see a man, with his own tears streaming down his face. A commander, one of the many.

"She's dead, Beta. I was the last person to officially leave the pack. I turned around, Morgan was holding her and mourning her lost. She was burning alive, Morgan saved her but she was too late. Anna, is dead." Mark looks up at the one news he wanted to hold onto, the news that Morgan told him to hold onto. Anna was supposed to be our next Alpha, our next commander, our next everything. And now, she's dead, which means if Morgan dies, the future of our pack is dead also.

"Thank you, Commander." He nods, sitting back down as he mourns the loss of one of his best warriors. As do the rest of us.

I stand up, looking down at the broken Alpha, and then at the rest of our broken pack, mourning the losses of our gone. "In this moment of time, we shall rest, the memories of our members may live in our dreams.. rest up everyone. Lights out." I shut the lights out, grabbing some blankets and give one to Mark and myself. I lay down, shutting my eyes, as I think about what could have been Morgan's last words and dreams for us.

-

I look down at my watch, forty-two minutes left on my watch. I breathe deeply, my eyes shutting. I feel a hand on my shoulder to which I look over and see Mark offering me a small twitch of the lips. "Hey Nate.." His voice is raspy, barely audible.

"Hey.. I don't know what to tell these people. They need their Alpha, not me. I'm only Beta because Morgan made me learn the duties from my father. I wasn't supposed to follow his footsteps. I wanted to be a constructor," I laugh and he does too lightly before looking down.

"You tell them where we're going, and what we're going to do. That's what an Alpha has to do, they don't need to know the details." Mark nods his head at me, trying to give me strength. 

"But, they need the words to come from Morgan. They need to know that the sacrifice of Morgan's life to save ours was important, that it had a meaning," I say quietly. Mark nods and smiles at me. 

"It'll be okay. It would be much easier if the words could come from Morgan, but she isn't here now," he speaks in a whisper, his eyes down. I nod my head, turning towards my people and watching them for a great time. I help put bags together, a blanket and some food in each. I handle the clothing, and put them in bags also, equally for each person. 

Mark and I hand them out to our people, as they look at us confused. I sigh as Mark nudges me to speak. I stand up and walk towards the front of the cell. My eyes look around at all the hopeless faces, my breath coming out nervously. Morgan was always the one who talked in front of crowds. She always had the strength to stand up to her own people, and I envied that strength that she always held. She was capable of everything, and I hope that I will get to see her again. 

"47 hours ago, a clock started counting down on my wrist. Alpha Morgan gave this countdown to me so I would have the strength to contine getting us to our safety. She had sacrificed her life to a pack of wolves who were killing others, so she could ensure the safety of our pack and others. Morgan is still alive, as of right now, we believe. We are not sure since she has been taken, distance can affect the link between this pack and the Alpha. Before we left the pack, I was given a paper of instructions from her. At the end of the 48 hours exact, we will be leaving this underground cell and going to Alpha Matthew's pack for safety and answers. Morgan said that he would answer all of our questions and thoughts. So trust in me, when I say that we will be safe and find our Alpha again if she is still alive." I look down at all the faces looking back at me, determination on their faces. 

"48 hours will beep on my watch, and that is when Morgan will tell the enemy our location. We need to move quickly and steadily to Alpha Matthew's pack. This is the only way that the survival of our pack will be ensured. Trust in me, and Alpha Mark as we do our best in these grave times to make the correct decision. This will be a difficult decision for the both of us. So please, listen to us and keep hope." I step down, moving towards Mark as he nods his head, moving towards the door as my watch counts down from a minute, people getting in a long line towards the tunnel that will take us to the top.

The countdown on my watch beeps, and I start running towards the top, my pack following as Mark pushes them from the end of the line, getting them to move as fast as possible. We have no idea how long it will take them to find this cell, but we need to be out and at Alpha Matthew's pack as soon as possible.

The only way to ensure that Morgan's plans will save us.