Chapter Twenty-Five

Morgan:

I remember his eyes, when he looked at me on that battlefield. I was covered with his blood, and I was holding the sword that was indulged in his chest. He was crying, holding his wallet full of pictures in his hand. Seven pups at home, one mate. To his eight family members, I would always be known as a murderer. To me though, I was known as a killer. It is the same thing to me, except murderers learn from their mistakes. Killers, they do it for the hunt.

He smiled at me as I looked down at him. The strongest Alpha known to man, was breaking as she held someone she was murdering. I think in that moment, it would have been best if he would have just died right away. But, he did not. This was a different type of pain, knowing that this innocent man that was just in a different pack, with a family, mate, and a home, was dying because of me.. it was the worst pain I had felt. I think to myself in that moment, how many innocent men and women had I killed? 

My dash scars on my arms read how many battles I have won, but there is never enough space on one body to show how many innocents I have killed. In a way, I am not too upset with Alpha Dean, I deserve to be changed into the monster I truly am. But in a way, I am still not ready to become one.. my pack needs me, and my pack needs to be protected by the Moon Goddess. 

So I call out to her, asking me to recall anything that would help me. The day I became Alpha, was the day her and I became one with each other. In all the moments of my life, right now is the only time I have really needed her. I always feel her there, itching away at my skin, trying to control me but, I have never given her the control over my body that she has wanted. 

I concentrate, breathing in as I feel her. I ask her to recall once again, anything that would help me. That is when I open my eyes and see myself on the battlefield once again.

"I met her in the spring.. at one of the pack ceremonies. The one day of the year where packs come together in peace to celebrate the Goddess.." The dying man was choking on his own story of his mate, blood spluttering from his chapped lips onto my face with every cough. "She was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.. from the first smell, and the first glance, and the sound of her laughter, I knew she was mine." I smile as a tear falls down my cheek and he looks up at the beautiful sky, the peace in his eyes unlike the noise of clashing teeth and tearing of skin around us. "Her black hair, brown eyes, and a beautiful white dress is what she was wearing. If I was human, I could imagine marrying her in a white dress.." He laughs, coughing up more blood. 

"Did you love her at first?" I ask, and he looks at me, pulling his hand to move the hair away from my eyes. 

He shakes his head. "The only problem with mates, is you feel the pull and attraction to mate with them right away, but the love comes later. To us warriors, it takes longer to love, because we're used to sacrificing the things we love most." Tears continue to fall from his eyes. "You will find love and peace like the rest of us, Alpha Morgan of the Blood Moon Pack. You will tear this world apart though, before you do." He splutters out the last part as his hand slowly drops, his head tilting back, and his mouth closing.

The last words of the man I murdered hung through the air like a knife slicing through. The worst part about his words, were that they were true. I will tear the world apart before I find love and peace. 

My breathing becomes harsh as I blink my eyes and the memory is gone and I am back in my cell. Tears are running from my eyes once again in my weakened state, as I shake my body back and forth on the cement ground, my arms around my knees to keep the little comfort I have left. I beg her for something else, something that will get me out of this place, not something that will break me even more for when Dean tries to change me again. But I am once again, pulled into a memory abyss. 

"Morgan?" My father smiles at me, holding up the end of the long dress I'm wearing. It is the day I meet my prophecy all over again. I am around ten years old, looking at a long line of paper that the elders are reading through. Every year the elders get together, read through the prophecy to see if there is any change, if the Moon Goddess has changed her decision. 

"She will be alone.. no mate.. take the body of the Goddess.. eternal life.." The elders keep muttering the main factors of the prophecy as I stand with my father. The long royal blue dress is now held up by my maids and I smile at them.

"Nothing as changed other than the date for her to become Alpha is sooner.." The Head Elder says and my father nods. 

He pushes me out of the room, as I just walk calmly. Ten years of being told I would be alone for eternal life is nothing new, and it just makes me plan for the day I make the huge sacrifice of dying for my pack. There is no one, nothing to live for, so why would I choose to live eternally?

My father does what he chooses to do every year, sitting with me in the woods, in our little spot where we would train. "One day you will find a best friend, a companion and they will-" I cut him off and shrug.

"So like Nate?" My father nods and I take a deep sigh.

"Your bloodline has to go on for a long time. There is a loophole, anyone who has a dead mate or sick mate, that is a powerful wolf, will mate with you. This ensures a powerful blood line, that will go on for generations." He speaks so proudly as I begin to cry.

"I want a real mate, someone to love, cherish, and hold on to just like you and mom."  He breathes in deep and shakes his head, slapping me across the face.

"My mate is dead, and you shall never bring that up again. Mates are all dead, and they are worthless beings. You shall never say you want one again, do you understand me?" I nod, and I hear her voice.. the voice who is a being in part of me telling me to wake up.

My body is shaken awake, and I open my eyes to see the Moon Goddess standing in front of me.