5| game of deception

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" Violet tore her gaze off the full moon that shimmered in the night, to a very pissed off werewolf boyfriend cajoling her over a failed plan. "I paralysed Isaac, and even if I hadn't, it's literally impossible for him to break the seal. He's a werewolf—" She pressed on, but froze halfway through. "... Allison."

      Reid clapped his hand against the car hood. "They're out there, Boyd and Cora." He groaned. "For fucks, I fucking told you not to mess this up. They're not where we wanted them to be. Get in."

      Hesitantly, she entered the car. "Where are we going?"

      "We wanted Boyd and Cora to kill Scott and Derek, and now they're off killing random people." Reid handed her his phone, with the page opened to a recent alert of a dead body in the woods. Emily Fosters, found dead in the woods. "Her girlfriend says she saw a girl with fangs and claws attack her. Cops dismissed it, because she was on drugs."

      Violet stared down at the report. "You think Cora did this?"

      He nodded. "Derek, Isaac and Scott are probably in the woods, looking for them before they start killing more people."

      The puzzled look on her face stilled. "So... what? You want me to go to the woods and get them to kill Scott? Because if I do it myself, it would be war between us and his pack?"

      "Actually, there's been a change of plans." Reid stopped the car at the dead-end. "You're not playing villain anymore."

      Violet didn't like where this was going. "What?"

     "You'll go into the woods, act as if the alpha pack have no idea you're looking for Boyd and Cora. Make up a sob story about not wanting them to kill any more innocent people. Tell them that only for tonight, you're on their side." Reid leaned in the deeper he got into the plan. "It'll go on for days, but sooner or later, they'll trust you. Not a lot, but enough for you to get information."

      She found it funny that he assumed she'd have to lie when saying she didn't want innocent people to die. She shook her head. "It's only been two hours since I fought them, there's no way in hell they'll trust my change of heart."

       "Then don't suck up to them." He shrugged as if it was the simplest instructions there was. "Tell them that whether they like it or not, you have the same goal, and that you find them with or without your help. Just don't fuck up, princess."

Violet trembled at the nickname, a flash of unwanted memories of her childhood hitting her like a truck. She rubbed her eyes, finding any excuse not to look at him when she says; "I told you not to call me that."

"If this is about your father..." Want to play, princess? Her father's voice vividly entered her memory, and violent groaned at the sheer recollection, the same tormenting replaying in her head causing her knees to weaken. If she hadn't been in the car already, Violet would've fell to her knees from the nausea.

"Just don't call me that." She managed to say, using up all her courage. "Please."

"He's dead." Reid ignored her. "I'm pretty sure I made sure of that. It's time to move on, princess."

      Violet buried her face in her wounded hands in hopes the pain would drown out the memories. Burns from mountain ash took longer to heal than any other wounds. Think of something else, think of the plan. "What happens at the end of this? How long do I have to fake this if, and that's a big if, they trust me?"

      "Until Scott McCall isn't a threat anymore." Reid said with no further elaboration. "Now, I suggest you leave before they find me here."

There was no way in hell the plan was going to work. Still, she hadn't gathered up the nerve to refuse the plan, especially not after the latest two plans of hers blew up in her face. And not when she was looking for any reason not to face him. So Violet sucked every urge to resist it in, and got out of the car.