•new beginnings•

After four long years, you had finally graduated from Columbia University. Your degree of English Literature was gruelling, but you did it. All of the essays, headaches, mental breakdowns and tears, they've all been worth it. Because now you and your boyfriend were graduate students and preparing for your first days of work.

After bringing in the last cardboard box from your car, you sighed and stepped back, admiring the cozy new apartment that you and your boyfriend had recently started renting.

The past week had been tiring, from sleepless nights, to early mornings, moving your belongings from your dormitories. You decided on keeping all of your textbooks and past papers, you didn't want to completely erase the memories of college. You had kept your head down for those four years. You had made only a small handful of friends that were studying similar courses, and you were lucky enough to meet Ben in your lectures. Normally, you would avoid all eye contact with boys in your class, you simply weren't interested and wanted nothing more than to study and pass all of your classes without having to worry about boys.

But that day you were glad you had looked up from your laptop.

Ben's soft golden eyes were gazing at you from a few rows down, a small smile plastered on his plush pink lips. His obsidian hair fell in dark waves around his chiseled jaw, framing his gorgeous yet mischievous face. He was dressed in black jeans and a denim button up shirt, his sleeves were rolled up, exposing his beautifully pale forearms.

The moment you saw him, electricity shot through you.

The two of you found each other after the lecture and you had agreed to get a coffee with him, and from there on, the rest was history.

It had been two years since the two of you got together, and you found it almost crazy that you were now moving in with him into your own apartment in New York.

The apartment was obviously small, but it wasn't cramped. It was perfect for the two of you. The bedroom was a decent size considering the overall size of the apartment, the living room was connected with the dining room and the kitchen was towards the front of the apartment. The bathroom was just down the hallway from your bedroom.

It needed some serious TLC, new furniture and a paint job would liven the place up a little. But that would be a job for another day.

Instead you were focussed on getting your things together for your first day of work tomorrow. You had attended a brief interview at First Order Publishing only last week, and the day after you received a call saying you had got the job and they wanted you to come to the induction day which was tomorrow.

Ben was also starting his new job at Rebel's Publishing, and much like you, they wanted him to come for an induction tomorrow as well.

When he found out about your new employment he was so excited. He was more excited for you than he was for himself. His eyes lit up when you told him, and you were sure you saw tears well up in his amber eyes.

You loved Ben Solo with your whole heart.

And he loved you.

"Finally."

You spun, startled at Ben's entrance. He placed the plastic bag he was holding onto the small coffee table in front of the old couch his parents gave him. He ran out to get the two of you lunch whilst you finished bringing in your belongings.

"What did you get?" You sat down on the couch, watching as Ben pulled out the plastic cutlery.

"Chinese. Figured we'd have something other than McDonald's for a change." He smiled.