o1

"Are you excited?" Lydia, my best friend since kindergarten practically screams

"Are you excited?" Lydia, my best friend since kindergarten practically screams. I turn my face to look at her, shielding my eyes with my hand. I look her up and down, the sparkle of her golden heels catching the late afternoon sun and nearly blinding me. Lydia is dressed to impress. I however didn't care enough to dress fancy today, especially when it's going to be a high of 98 degrees and for the second fact that graduation is on the football field. There was no way that I was going to ruin a good pair of heels walking around on this turf.

    The seniors are all gathered in line on the extensive Chaparral High School football field. In late June the weather in Scottsdale is pretty damn brutal, most days reaching the high 90's. We're all standing around uncomfortably, our gowns sticking to us with every move.

    Screaming, excited families fill every single spot up in the stands. I gaze up at the blur of people, but the sun makes it it near impossible to make out a single face.

    Lydia seems to pick up on my unease because she tiptoes even closer to me and bumps me with her hip.

    "Everything will be fine, you know." She says in a hushed whisper just as Principle Weinstein walks up to the makeshift stage and grabs the mic. The microphone protests with a long hiss, leaving everyone groaning until the annoyance dissipates.

    "Hello everyone. I'm sure all, or at least most of you know who I am- but for those who don't I am Phil Weinstein. Chaparral High School's principle. From the bottom of my heart, I'd like to welcome you all to the Chaparral graduation of 2016! Now, before we start calling names and handing out diplomas I'd like if we could all stand up and give a big Puma growl for our soon to be Graduates!" Before Principle Weinstein can even finish, the whole crowd erupts in the most audacious and cheerful growl I've ever heard. I can't hold back the laugh as he turns and gives us all a delightfully jolly smile and a big thumbs up.

    "Now, ladies and gentlemen here we go!" He concludes before starting off on his introductions and then the diploma ceremony.

    Everyone, including Lydia is starting to get antsy. She's standing a few people behind me tapping her foot incessantly on the turf, letting out annoyed huffs of breath. "Why must we have so many kids in our graduating class?" She groans and throws her head back dramatically. "Some of us have places to be and people to see." This gets me to laugh.

    "Chill, dude. Your lover boy will be waiting for you with a HUGE bouquet of flowers at the finish line, don't you worry your pretty little heart." I call back, teasing her.

    Lydia rolls her eyes and crosses her arms in front of her chest. "Whatever you say, momma Charlie." With that, Lydia lets a wide grin spread across her lips, mocking me back, and now it's my turn to roll my eyes.

    Principle Weinstein is hardly to the letter G. Graduation really is going to take forever. I look over at the crowd once again, the sun shifting positions and becoming a little less potent. I scan across the faces, finding Isaac Lydia's brother and my other best friend as well as his and Lydia's family all sitting there with smiles on their faces as they try to pick us out of the crowd. I offer a wave and continue scanning. No sight of my mom or my boyfriend waiting for me with a big bouquet of flowers. I let a sigh break free from my lips as I reach into the pocket of my shorts and fish out my cellphone. Holding it down at waist level I tap the screen to wake it up.