56

Tanner

When we got back to school after spring break, Charlie seemed much lighter, almost as if she was finally at peace. My Charlie girl was finally back.

She told me about the encounter she had with Gavin's mom. As soon as she uttered the words, I felt sick to my stomach but as soon as she told me the whole story— including her awkward little hideout with Lydia behind the soup display— I began to feel much better about the situation. As much as I hated Gavin and couldn't wrap my head around how he became who he was, I felt bad for his mother, for everything that he put not only Charlie through, but his family through as well. He was an awful son of a bitch and he deserved to rot in jail.

The apology though seemed to ease Charlie's mind a bit. She didn't say it, but I could tell that Gavin's mom was once, and probably still is a very important person to her. I could see in her expression just how much it stung when his mother didn't believe her.

After we got back, we had a few uneventful weeks before finals and then all hell broke loose. We barely saw each other, other than when we woke up and went to bed every night. It was rough to say the least but once they were finally over and we were free for the summer, I could practically feel the stress melt off. It was a relief that the whirlwind of a year we had was over, but I was grateful for it nonetheless because it brought me and Charlie together.

I was helping Charlie carry down the last of her boxes, letting her have a few moments with Scout before they parted ways.

As soon as the last box was loaded, I stood back, leaning against the bed of my truck as I watched Charlie and Scout try to hold back tears as they said their final goodbyes, giving each other a hug so tight that I didn't know how either of them were able to breathe.

"You better come visit and text me and call me like, every day!" Charlie shouted to Scout over her shoulder, who was pouting at her before Collin came up and wrapped an arm around her waist.

I offered Collin a wave, knowing damn well he'd be over the house often enough this summer.

I smiled down at Charlie, watching as she still pouted in Scout's direction.

"Hey, hey. No sad eyes. You guys will see each other plenty this summer." I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her into me, kissing the top of her head.

She turned her pout on me, wrapping her arms around my neck before she sighed. "I know, it just sucks... I really enjoyed having her as a roommate this year. I'm so glad I met her, I just hate not knowing if we're going to be each other's roommates again next year—"

"What if there was a way that you guys could be roommates again next year?" I blurted out without thinking my words entirely through.

She reeled her head back and her eyes nearly bulged out of her skull.

"What kind of way?"

"Well, I mean— it's not like you and Scout don't already already live at the house... We're keeping the lease for another year, so what if you guys just moved in with us?" I know that I probably should've thought this through more and maybe consulted with the guys before just dropping the ball and suggesting that Charlie and Scout move in. It's not like it's a super casual conversation to have.

She was speechless for a moment and I almost started to worry before a wide grin brightened up her face.

"Hell yeah!"

Her answer surprised me and caused me to choke on a laugh.

"Really?"

She rolled her eyes playfully. "Well duh. How could I not want to spend everyday with you and my school BFF?"