"Christian! How are you honey?" her voice drifted from the speaker. I smiled. I loved her voice. It was soothing and calming. Just like hers.

"I'm doing great, mom! How are you? How's Jake and Char?" I asked. Jake was my mom's husband and Charlotte was their new born daughter. I've never seen her in person, but my mom's sent me pictures and videos.

"We're all doing well, thanks for asking. How's your dad? Is he treating you right?" she asked. Her voice was shaky, but she was trying not to sound worried. She knew I hated it when she worried.

"Yeah! Everything's fine. You don't have to worry, mom. I'm doing great," I assured. I heard her sigh in relief and smiled sadly. I missed her so much.

"How's Scott?" she asked next. She always thought of Scott as a second son, even though she had never met him in person. Scott basically was her second son, to be completely honest. She sent him care packages sometimes and he would write her letters and call her.

"He's good. I've met somebody new, mom. His name's Theo."

"Oh? That's great, honey! I bet you two will get along just fine. I have to prepare dinner for Jake, Charlotte and I now. I love you, Christian. Don't you ever forget it. I miss you so much. Come visit sometime soon, yeah?" she asked. We both knew that wouldn't happen.

"Yeah, I miss you too and I love you, mom. Bye," I said, hanging up. The song had switched.

Down to the place we used to lay when we were kids
Memories, of a stolen place
Caught in the silence
An echo lost in space

I closed my eyes, letting the lyrics and melody soothe me to sleep. The music communicated what I couldn't. It took the thoughts from my head and threw them at me through my speakers. I had always thought it was magical. How do they read my thoughts? They were always in a foreign language to others. It was as if I was the only one who could decipher them. Music was my translator. Everything I couldn't explain, music did it for me. It was a beautiful thing. She loved music. She was a beautiful thing. The most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. They took that beauty. They took it and shred it, leaving her scattered and broken. They broke her right in front of me. And I couldn't piece her back together in time.

<><><><><><><><><><>

"Christian! Get down here and make dinner!"

I opened my eyes, startled at the loud shout. Glancing at the time, I got out of bed and shut my music off. I didn't mean to sleep for so long. I guess I needed it though. I tip-toed down the stairs and walked quietly into the kitchen to make dinner. A small pot was thrown my way, hitting me in the side before I had time to react. The breath was knocked out of me and I doubled over, clutching at my side. There would definitely be a bruise there by tomorrow. I picked the pot up and limped over to the drawers, putting it back in its place.

"Make sandwiches and grab me a beer," my dad commanded. I obeyed, grabbing a beer bottle from the fridge and setting it down in front of him before going to gather sandwich ingredients. I decided on turkey and cheese sandwiches, taking the cold cuts and bread out of the fridge. I assembled the turkey and cheese on two slices of bread and spread butter on the other slice. Then I put the two bread slices together and handed one to my dad on a plate. His beer was already halfway empty.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" he asked when I picked up my sandwich. I blinked, giving him a confused look. He grabbed the sandwich from my hands and threw it at my face. I blocked it with my arms just in time for it to splatter all over me. What did I do wrong? What did I do?