14 ° Thursday's Troubles.

❝(A COWARDLY CONVICTION) AND IT'S BREAKING EVERY SILENCE!❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"HOW HAS YOUR FAMILY BEEN, HAYATO?" She asked, looking down at the ground. [Name] and Hayato walked home together as they always did—the two children allotting time out of their day to share idle talk. Relating to the situation, the girl provided Hayato with an apposite inquiry.

The walk was quiet, with the occasional chatter between the two of them.

Though, there didn't seem to be much tension as there was before.

"Well," he swallowed dryly, eyes glued to the ground as well, "As per your request, I was observing Papa the other day. I didn't think about your request at first, but... it was a bit suspicious."

"...Did he do something?"

"Well, it's not as if his behaviors were innately suspicious, you know? They weren't remotely eye-catching, but for Papa, they were out-of-character. I wonder if it weren't for your request, would I have noticed the subtle changes?"

She nodded her head, reassuring him. "I'm sure you would, Hayato. You're a pretty smart kid, even if you don't think so."

"Haha... thank you, I guess. But back to Papa—um, I don't know if it's a privacy violation, but... I've been recording him when he goes to work, in case he or anyone else is the businessman we want. And there were a couple of other red flags this week too. During breakfast, he ate Mama's plate."

[Name] raised an eyebrow, non-verbally asking for further elaboration.

"Well, uh, Papa doesn't like shiitake mushrooms, so she takes them out when she cooks for him. His sudden willingness to eat them was weird; he always complained whenever he didn't like something. But he was gobbling up those shiitake mushrooms he hates so much without a second thought—not a second of hesitation!"

He pursed his lip, averting his eyes back to the ground. "I—I think Mama was happy to see him eat her cooking without any complaints, but I left the room to prepare for school before I could see the rest. She probably thought he had a change of heart. Then again, he was always all bark—no bite."

He tilted his head to the side while his mind recalled the events that transpired.

"When he left for work—he used a shoehorn to put on his shoes. I'm pretty sure he put on the 25.5 centimeter-sized shoes, but it's different from his usual size. I thought it was strange for him to have two different shoe sizes, you know?"

Then, he frowned.

"It's... It's also weird that Mama and Papa have been getting along lately. They were never like this before!" Hayato winced, and this thought gnawed at this head.