03 ° Lavender Town.

❝THE SKY IS THE LIMIT, THIS TOWN AND EVERYTHING IN IT, SO BIZARRE...❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU FOUND A CADAVER ONE DAY? After all—it's not every day someone witnesses a murder or comes across the carcass of the once-living. The stench of the dead seemed to linger longer than one wanted it. Would you hope the victim had clemency during their final moments? Would you pray the killer gets justice served to them on a silver platter? People are acutely conscious of their fugacious life. Any day at any second, it could be the end of their story—another book left forgotten to the hands of time. So, they cling onto the halcyon days of their life, when all their worries would ebb away.

"A murder?!" Koichi shouted at the preposterous rumor.

Murder.

It takes willpower to seize another's life. How does it feel to make another person leave this world; how does it feel to have their sanguine fluids stained forever on your hands? It must be taxing to their deteriorating welfare to have a waft of iron no matter where they go. Do murderers feel remorse? They claw at the throat of Fate and hope it will disgorge their happy ending. Destiny—as it always does—will not falter at the likes of them.

Kuchisake-onna leaned down to [Name]'s height, whispering in her ear.

"That girl is already dead," she said, looking directly at Reimi. Without giving [Name] a moment to respond, she straightened her posture, almost as if she didn't say anything in the first place.

"I assume that house is unoccupied after what allegedly transpired."

"Yeah," Reimi nodded and turned around. "No one lives there now. Do you want to hear about it?"

Albeit hesitant, the group nodded at her offer.

What did Kuchisake-onna mean when she said Reimi was already dead? Well—Reimi did say that the murder was just a rumor. And if it's true, then the murderer should've been caught by now. [Name] took in a deep breath and calmed her nerves. But what if it was real? Then—what Kuchisake-onna said—would that mean...!

Reimi was the—?

"I heard this from the old lady who lives next door." Reimi began, cutting off her thought process. "The night of the murder, while the girl who lived here was asleep in her bedroom, she awoke to a drip, drip sound that came from her parent's bedroom." The teenager pointed at the dim house with an indiscernible expression on her face. Koichi gulped dryly at the thought.

"She wondered what the sound was and called out to her parents, but there was no reply. But the girl wasn't that scared because her beloved dog was by her side."

"Beloved dog?" Rohan asked.

Reimi nodded. "Yes, he was a big guard dog. Even in the dark, if she put her hand underneath the bed, he would whimper and lick her hand. She felt safe because Arnold was with her. But she heard the dripping sound go on for more than ten minutes. Finally, the girl decided to find out what the sound was. And then..."