❃ Chapter Twenty One - Coincidences

Start from the beginning

I snickered, checking my watch. "Bet. What about your brother?"

"Give me the goddamn phone, Cole!" Nathan's voice came a little dimmer.

"Wait a moment-"

"We don't have a moment, moron!"

"A second!"

"Gimme that, dammit!"

As the phone finally was settled against a ear, I inquired, "N or C?"

"N, man," Nathan sighed, the daggers he was giving Cole with his eyes almost palpable through the line, "Happy Birthday! Thirty one years old, huh? Must be cool."

"You don't even feel it." I tapped my fingers on the wheel, "Passed by in a blur."

"Well, it was good hearing from you-"

"Bye, Jer! Still hate you, but happy birthday!"

"Yeah, happy B-day, man!" Nathan chuckled after Cole's brief message. "Good luck with your jobs, we'll see you at Christmas!"

"Tell Cole the feeling's mutual and take care!" I hung up the call, throwing my phone into the passenger's seat as I turned into the underground parking.

Driving slowly down the road, I had a brief stop to buy the ticket for the parking spot, then drove around the place until I found just a fit place to leave the car in. Having small conversations with Narah, I led her to the elevator that took us up to the theatre.

In the theatre she had violin lessons, from where I would drive her to the ballet lessons, a few streets away from this location. In the theatre I would stay in the front row and watch the stage where she'd be seated with the other women learning to sing. Their teacher was a man with a better temper than the ballet teacher. Unlike that bitch, he actually tried to help the ladies in understanding how to play, not just plain shouting and screaming and expecting her to do the moves right.

She went up the stage holding the case in which was the violin and sat in one of the chairs after leaving me her coat. Neither of the girls ever spoke. Maybe from the presence of the three bodyguards, maybe from the other girls. Probably even out of fear of the teacher. All they ever did was greet each other and their teacher and wait in utter silence until they started playing.

I was sure they suffered like Narah because they all wore similar outfits, they all held the same position and they all jumped when the loudest sound rang in the hall. Like a door slamming open or closed by the janitor. Well... all except my Narah.

She was tough like that.

Mr Mendez, the teacher, came in with a big smile, greeting the girls and giving us a subtle nod. And so, the two hours of violin began. The whole time, the hall was filled with the majestical sound of the violins. It was a mere compliment to the ears how beautiful the girls played.

When my phone vibrated in my pocket, I was thankful it didn't rang out loud to disturb the music. Checking the ID first, I stood up from the seat and went far from the other two bodyguards on the little pathway that led to the exit. I stood there as I kept my stare on Narah and picked up the call.

Damian and I had a small conversation in which he wished me a Happy Birthday. He said he would've called earlier, but he just finished an eight hours long surgery and he was about to check some of his other patients when Piper called him. Obviously, after talking to Piper, he wanted to learn more about my girlfriend.

I would have told him. Honestly, I was more than proud to show off with my kitten, but I knew if Logan found out he'd scold me on it and pull me out of the job. Getting emotionally involved was dangerous, let alone when you got emotionally involved with the future wife of your target.