❃ Chapter Eight - Home Sweet Home

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Zoe
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

Today was the day, wasn't it?

The big day. The day I lost it all. The day I became a prisoner all over again.

Looking into the large mirror from my closet, I found my reflexion… repellent. With a black turtleneck on, the long sleeves reaching my fingers, the smooth material was tight on my body, tucked at the hems into my loose, dark blue jeans that was held up at the waist by a Gucci belt. In my feet I wore a pair of sneakers and in my hand, I had this brown fleece.

My hair was tied in a ponytail, the curls falling onto my shoulders. I stared at the colors of my hair with pure disgust, wanting nothing more than to rip it out of my head. Just as much as I wanted to peel my own skin off, or be flat like a board instead of being as perfectly formed as I was.

Not that I was cocky, but my forms were balanced. Not too big, not too small.

And I hated it. I hated it all with a passion. I hated my whole body. The fact that I was a sight difficult to deny. The fact that I wasn't anything more than a pretty face meant to serve in a man's home. The fact that… I wasted over ten years of my life on education, only to return to being nothing more than a fancy maid.

Because that was the truth. Today, 15th of October, I was returning to my family, so they could prepare me for a "suitable" man to take me as his wife. Today, on my birthday, I was returning to the hell I tried so many times to run away from.

If I could, I would run again. Throw this whole destiny bullshit my parents had in plan for me only because I was the stupid heir to their illegal business. I would spit in their face and curse them and… hell, if I even thought about it, I could kill them for forcing me into doing something like this. For making me marry someone I didn't know, I didn't even want to know!

I would burn down all those houses they bought, all those riches they "earned" through their "hard" work. I would ruin them, then I would run away and live my life how I wanted to live it.

But I couldn't. Even if a part of me craved the destruction of those smug bastards, I couldn't. That was not the deal I had with them.

Four years ago, after I finished highschool, I tried to run again, too stupid to think of the consequences afterward. But I was caught and brought back. And we made a deal.

If I accepted to marry some stranger they picked for me, my younger sister would be spared. And I accepted, also because they allowed me to go to college on my own, pay all the taxes and let me be for four years. But mostly because I didn't want my sister to have the same destiny.

But time was up. My birthday was here. The end of my freedom just around the corner.

As I wiped sad tears from under my eyes, I nearly ignored the doorbell as it chirped around the apartment. My heart sank, froze, became a blast of cold, winter wind in the meant spot in my chest. With an utterly blank expression, I walked out of my apartment and opened the door as I finished shrugging on the fleece.

"Zoe Narah Garcia?" The man dressed from head to toe in black asked as he cocked a brow over black shades.

Glancing back at the apartment with a last longing stare, I couldn't help but remember this morning when Luisa woke me up with a birthday, chocolate cake made by her. She sucked at cooking, but through some miracle, she still managed not to burn it.