~epilogue~

It was finally the day San was going to get released. He'd gone through ten years, suffering in prison while his friends only visited whenever possible.

Seonghwa had established a flourishing business abroad, so he rarely visited his brother, but he made sure to send him a postcard every month or so.

Although ten years had passed, San was still the same. Cold looks but a warm heart.

The ex-criminal made his way through the exit of the prison, changing out of his prison attire.

And as he walks out the gates, he sees Mingi, Hongjoong and Seonghwa waiting for him with bright smiles on their faces.

His heart warms up at the sight of them as they run up to him and engulf San in a tight hug.

" I've missed you guys so much. "

" We've missed you too, San. Welcome back! ", Mingi says, ruffling my hair.

" Hyung, I thought you were not in Korea? ", San asks his brother, who pats him on the shoulder.

" I couldn't miss your release day, you're my brother after all. ", Seonghwa tells proudly and Hongjoong snakes an arm around his waist.

" Uh, San? ", Hongjoong mutters.

" Yeah? "

" We're not the only ones wanting to see you...."

" What do you mean? Is Yunho here? ", San asks wondering whether Yunho was here to see him.

" No, Yunho is still in Japan. ", Mingi explains, " It's Wooyoung, he's here to see you. "

Mingi points towards the right and San sees two men standing beside a car. One of them, he makes out as Wooyoung. The other, he's not so sure.

" He insisted on talking to you. ", Seonghwa says while Mingi and Hongjoong nod.

" We'll give you guys some time. We'll be waiting by our car. You can come to us once you're done. ", Hongjoong says as the three of them walk away together.

San sighs and watches Wooyoung slowly walk towards him, with heavy steps. The other male remaining near the car.

And once they come face to face, Wooyoung begins to speak.

" Hi, Sannie. It's been a while. "

San couldn't believe it. It seemed as though Wooyoung hadn't aged a day. Ten years had passed and Wooyoung looked as ethereal as ever.

" Hey, Woo. Surprised to see you here. "

Wooyoung walks closer to San.

" How have you been? ", he asks softly. San could only smile, " Jail isn't exactly fun, but I managed. I always do. "

San could hear little sniffles come from the other but he assumed it was due to the freezing weather.

" It's been ten years and I know you'd never forgive me, Sannie, but I just can't live with the guilt anymore. ", Wooyoung confesses, " It's eating me up from inside. "

San's expression drops at the sudden confession. " It's been too long to still ponder it. ", he sighs, " I forgive you, Woo. I really do. Don't beat yourself over it. "

A smile erupts on Wooyoung's lips. The same, sweet, smile he would give San ten years ago. The prettiest smile San had ever seen.

" Thank you. "

San nods in acknowledgement. Wooyoung was about to speak up again when they both spot a little boy running towards them. Weirdly, the other man with Wooyoung was following the child right behind.

The boy runs up to Wooyoung and hugs his thighs. The latter lifts the child in his arms and pecks him on the cheek.

" Sorry, Woo. He ran here to be with you, he just couldn't wait in the car. ", the stranger who was with Wooyoung earlier says, giving the other an apologetic look.

San could now easily recognise the stranger who was none other than Officer Choi Yeonjun.

" It's no problem, Jun. "

" Well, I'll be waiting for you by the side. You both can talk privately. ", Yeonjun says as he walks a little further away from them, taking out his phone to keep him company.

" You recognise Yeonjun, don't you? "

San replies, " Of course, I do. "

" Well, this little boy right here is Choi Kitae, our son. ", Wooyoung says and San's heart drops at those words.

" Y-Your what? "

" I know it's a lot to take in. ", Wooyoung begins, " I'm married to Yeonjun, and Kitae is our adopted son. "

San is even more shocked. He couldn't comprehend whatever was going on.

" You're married, Woo? ", San mumbles.

" Yeah. Last year. We got Kitae just a few months ago. "

Wooyoung could see the disappointment in San's eyes and now he feels bad about bringing this up.

" Well, congrats I guess. I hope he's treating you well. ", San says and Wooyoung smiles, " He does. "

" That's good to know. ", San answers as he reaches out to touch the child's hand.

" Hey little one, I'm uncle San. It's so nice to meet you. "

The little boy looks back at San and flashes him a small smile, " It's nice to meet you too! "

" He's adorable, Woo. "

" Thank you. "

Wooyoung checks the time on his watch, " Oh, San, we're running late actually. The three of us have somewhere to be. Hope you could excuse us. "

" It's alright. You three can go ahead. I've got my family waiting for me anyway. "

Wooyoung smiles at him for the last time, possibly. They might never meet each other again.

Wooyoung places Kitae back on to the ground who runs back into Yeonjun's arms.

" Well then, I guess this is goodbye, San. "

" I guess this is. Goodbye, Woo. "

Wooyoung walks forward and engulfs the other in a warm hug. Their last ever hug. The final warmth that they would ever share.

San rests his chin on the other's firm shoulder as he closes his eyes, enjoying the warmth while it lasts. Wooyoung hugs him tighter as a tear slips from his eye.

" Thanks for everything. ", San whispers into Wooyoung's ear.

When they break apart, they wave to each other before walking away in opposite directions.

This was the end of a love story and the beginning of a new chapter in both of their lives. Still holding memories of each other in their ever-beating hearts.

...

A/N STARXNYU :

I really can't believe this is finally over. This, by far, was my favourite chapter to write. I loved the characterisation.

Well, this is the end y'all. Sorry to disappoint those who thought woosan would end up together. I have a reputation for making crappy endings.