23

I never felt this nervous before. I manage to write a good and inspired song for us to play during finals. Our group is after Trisha's group. I checked my guitar for the last time. Tighthen my messy ponytails.

After Trisha's group finished performing, the MC took a little to call out our group. This makes us more nervous.

"On three. One, two, three!" Four of us tossed our hand up. Cheering our self.

"Next, we have... Oh! Space Note!" The MC called out our band.

"This is it guys. Let's do our best!" Victoria said before we headed out to the stage.

Four of us take our place. Victoria took a seat behind the drum set. Cora is standing behind the keyboard. I'm ready with my guitar and Jacob standing in the middle with microphone in his hand.

"One, two, three, four!" Victoria hit her drumsticks in the air and then hit the drum. Jacob starts to sing. Cora follow with her keyboard adding more rhythm to the song. Then, I plays the guitar at the right tempo.

Jacob really impressed me when he manage to overcome the high pitched part since during the practice he doesn't take it serious. Cora showing off her fast-fingers-keyboard skill. Victoria hit the drum really good even more good then before. Then my guitar solo part.

***

"That was great!" Victoria cheered us after we finished performing. I smiled.

"You sing really well, Jacob. Even more better," I said. As Victoria and Cora left to the toilet.

"Well, thanks. You play really good too," he blushed.

"Thanks!" Now, it's my turn to blush. Then we awkwardly stared at each other.

"There there. Look how cute you guys," Victoria teased. Both of us turned around quickly.

Cora laughed.

***

"And now, let's no waste any more time, shall we announce the winner?" The MC said. Most of the band already stand on the stage. Nervously waiting for the result.

Butterfly fly in my stomach. At the same time, I feels like throw up. Jacob suddenly hold my hand. He put it behind his back so that either Victoria or Cora can't see it. He hold my hand tightly.

"Your hand cold," he whispered. I nodded. "I'm here," he continue. I turned and look at him and he tried to look cool. I smiled a little hearing that.

"The third place is Whitney and The Crew!" The MC announced the third place holder. People give applauses.

"Now, to the first place," drum rolls. "The first place goes to Le Australian Girls!" A pop sound can be heard. Balloons fill up the stage. That's mean that, Space Note is in the second place. Trisha and her band took the first place.

***

"We've done our best. That's okay," Cora tried to cheered up us four. We're in our waiting room as the producer want to meet us. Even we've close the door, word congratulations, congrats Le Australian Girls can be heard. It hurts but that's the rule. There's win and lose. Sometimes, we have to accept the fact.

We sat quietly. Then suddenly my phone rang. Breaks the silent. It's Drake.

I went outside the waiting room. I took a few steps away from the room.

"Hello," I said.

"Hello, Nat. Meet me outside. Use back door. I wait you there," then he hang up.

I get in the room. Three of them raised their head when they heard the door being open.

"Guys, I'll be back," I said and left the room. I went to the back door and open it. Drake was there. But, he's not alone. Mr. and Mrs. Donald a.k.a my foster parents a.k.a mom and dad were there too. I get surprised.

"Nat," mom look at me. I shut the door behind me.

"Mom. Dad," I look at them simultaneously. "How long have you guys been here?"

"Ever since the battle starts," mom answered. "We really sorry that you won the second place," I glanced at her.

"How did you know?" I looked down at my shoes. Light blue high cut converse.

"Huh?"

"How did you know that I was joining this?" My eyes starts to tear up. I don't know what bother me until my tears drop.

"I told them," Drake confessed. "I can't stand looking at you handling everything by yourself and shut everyone else. The one who gives you everything. I really can't stand. I'm sorry," Drake hugged me. I lean my head on to his chest. His T-shirt soaked with my tears.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry," I burst into tears. I cried really hard.

"It's okay, dear. It's okay," mom hugged me and gently rubbed my back. Dad join the hugged.

***

I washed my face before I get in to the waiting room.

"Has the producer come in?" I asked as I took a seat.

"No," Cora mumbled.

"Guys," I said. Three of them turned their face and looked at me. "I'm sorry that we couldn't be the winner. I'm sorry that I involved you guys in this stupid contest. I'm sorry that I give you guys such a hard times. I'm sorry for being a total jerk. I'm sorry for being selfish. I'm sorry for everything," I cried.

Cora get up from her seat and walk towards me. She hugged me. Her eyes were tearing up too. Then Victoria joins and last but not least, Jacob join the group hug.

"It's not your fault that we lost. Stop blaming yourself," Cora whispered.

***

The door being knocked. Everyone back in their place. Maybe the producer. The door being pushed. Two mans walk inside the room and closed the door.

******

Well, here's the point. I tried to change to story. Mostly, the first winner of course you expect it to be Space Note, right? For me, that's a little cliché. So I make it the second place. Hehehe