Chapter 36 - Mike

Third Person POV

"I win!" JoJo exclaims, again. This was the seventh time today that he had won Uno.

Smalls, Boots, and Ike groan and Sniper, Mike, and Tommy boy congratulate him, as Kloppman laughs again, shaking his head.

"I swear, it is impressive how much you win Uno" Sniper mumbles. JoJo laughs.

"Are you cheating?" Smalls questions, as Mr. Kloppman picks up the cards.

Ike turns to Smalls, confused. "Can you cheat in Uno?"

Smalls shrugs. "Not sure. Just asking."

"I think I'm done with Uno for today" Mike states, as Mr. Kloppman starts shuffling the cards.

"Can we play one more game? Please?!" JoJo asks, folding his hands, and making puppy eyes. "Then we'll have played an even amount of games."

"Since when do you care about even numbers?" Boots mumbles. JoJo shrugs.

"I don't, but Mike does" JoJo answers. Boots, Kloppman, Smalls, Ike, Sniper, and Tommy boy laugh as he goes back to begging Mike.

Mike finally caves. "Fine. One last game, only for you."

"Yay!" JoJo exclaims, grinning. The group laughs.

Kloppman shuffles the cards, before passing them out. When he finishes passing the cards out, he puts the remaining cards in a pile in the middle of the circle.

Here were some things you heard during the game;

"Really? Again Smalls?"

"Plus four cards to Ike!"

"I add to the plus four cards that had gone to me, which was rude, and send plus six cards to Sniper!"

"I pick yellow- no red- no blue. I'm going with yellow."

"Let's focus on the card game, not fighting each other in real life."

"I'll add four to your plus two, making Tommy boy have to pick up six."

"Smalls! I swear you're only targeting me!"

"What if I am?"

"I ought to smack you!"

"Like Mr. Kloppman said, focus on the card game. We really don't need a fight in real life."

"That's what you get!"

"I win."

Most of the group members stare at JoJo in shock, other than Mr. Kloppman.

Ike and Smalls had been too busy trying to annoy each other, and Sniper, Mike, Boots, and Tommy boy had been focusing on trying to stop a fight, plus not watching JoJo, so they didn't realize JoJo was about to win till he won again.

"I give up playing with you" Sniper states. JoJo giggles.

JoJo helps Mr. Kloppman collect the cards, while the other Newsies went off to do their own things, other than Mike.

"Now I see why I always hear complains from them about you being as good at Uno as Race is at Poker" Mr. Kloppman tells JoJo, who grins.

"Aww! They're so nice!" JoJo exclaims. Mike and Kloppman chuckle at him.

"Mr. Jordan and Mr. Chris will be here any minute, so I'm gonna go wait downstairs for them" Mr. Kloppman states. Mike and JoJo share a look, snickering.

Mr. Kloppman rolls his eyes with a playful smile on his face at their childishness.

"Have fun!" Tommy boy shouts to Mr. Kloppman, who smiles.

"But not too much fun!" Ike adds. Mr. Kloppman rolls his eyes again.

"Thank you, guys" Kloppman responds, walking downstairs.

"I was literally about to say the same thing, Ike" Smalls exclaims from in her room.

Literally most of the Newsies were in different rooms. Mike and JoJo were in the living room, Kloppman was downstairs, Ike and Tommy boy were in Tommy boy's room, and Sniper, Smalls, and Boots were in Sniper and Smalls' room.

"I would say great minds think alike, but I wouldn't really call your mind 'great'" Ike states, sorta hoping Smalls couldn't hear him.

"Oh, you-" Smalls starts, as Boots and Sniper grab her.

Tommy boy rushes to close the door to his room, as Sniper shouts something to them. "I would lock your door, T! Smalls is gonna murder Ike if you don't."

Mike and JoJo laugh together. Ike and Smalls had a very interesting brother-sister relationship.

"Can I talk to you?" Mike asks JoJo, who nods.

The two of them walk into Mike and Ike's room together, closing the door behind them, and sitting on Mike's bunk. He had the bottom bunk, while Ike had the top.

Mike takes JoJo's hands in his. "Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you can tell me if you're uncomfortable. I know that you're new to relationships, and you grew up with people saying that dating someone with the same gender isn't okay. I'll always be here for you."

JoJo nods, not making eye contact with Mike. "It's like I don't know what I'm feeling. When I'm with you, I want to be held by you and I never want your kisses to end, and when I'm not with you, I feel like I'm missing a part of me, but I was always told that this was wrong, and I can't seem to forget that."

Mike nods. He didn't know how to help JoJo, even if he really wanted to help him. They had a string connection, and he often found JoJo looking at it.

"I'm sorry. I want to help, but I don't know how. I feel like the only thing I can do is be here for you through everything, and I will be" Mike tells JoJo, who smiles at him.

Mike stares at JoJo. He was pretty sure he was blushing, but JoJo was just so- perfect to him. His smile made him feel like he could float into off into space.

"Mike. Mikey" JoJo states, looking Mike in the eyes.

Mike snaps out of his thoughts, blushing. "Heh- sorry. Zoned off for a minute there."

Mike awkwardly smiles at JoJo, who doesn't seem to notice the awkwardness, as he just grins back at Mike.

"Can I have a kiss?" JoJo whispers, blushing a lot. He was embarrassed to ask, and Mike knew this.

Mike chuckles, cupping JoJo's face with his hands. JoJo's bright blue eyes stared into his eyes with longing floating around them, as Mike leaned in and kissed him.

They pulled away after a minute. JoJo was grinning again. Blushing a lot, but grinning nonetheless, and Mike was smiling.

"Wanna play Uno?" JoJo asks. Mike chuckles, nodding.

They make it through one round of Uno, which JoJo won, duh, and started passing out cards when they were interrupted.

"Smalls! I swear to God!" They hear Ike shout, before they hear a door slam.

"Isaac Guzman, I swear if you don't stop that, I will stab you!" Smalls shouts. JoJo and Mike share a wide-eyed look.

"I'm not scared of you! You little shrimp!" Ike shouts back. Smalls glares at him.

Mike quickly gets up. "I have to go stop my twin from getting into a fight. Love you."

He blows a kiss to JoJo, seeing JoJo blush and giggle, before exiting the room.

"That's it!" Smalls shouts, trying to jump at Ike.

Boots and Sniper grab Smalls, while Tommy boy and Mike grab Ike.

They hear chuckles from Mr. Kloppman, Chris, and Jordan as they drag Ike and Smalls into separate rooms.

When Tommy boy closes the door to the room he shares with Boots and JoJo, Ike notices something about his brother.

"You're blushing" Ike points out, pointing to his twin.

Mike flops on his back onto Tommy boy's bed. "He's literally perfect."

Tommy boy and Ike chuckle. Mike was whipped, he was really far gone.

1236 Words