JUST ONE PHONE CALL

December 30th, 1980

The next day, thankfully, Diane had off of work

The next day, thankfully, Diane had off of work. Every loves days off work, but she doesn't. It's very boring when she's alone in her apartment doing nothing.

For example, right now Diane was sitting on her couch with Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream in a bowl, slowly melting, and her eyes fixated on Magnum P.I playing its reruns on the TV. She didn't even like this show, but there was nothing better to watch at the moment. But her so called "relaxation" came to an end when the loud sound of the phone ringing broke her out of her thoughts. She sighed, when she realized she'd actually have to move.

Her small pink phone on the wall, was vibrating vigorously and wouldn't stop ringing obnoxiously.

"I'm coming I'm coming." She murmured to herself as she picked up the phone and put it to her ear.

"Hello?" Diane asked into the phone trying to sound awake, and happy.

"Hi erm- is this D-Diane?" There was the voice again. That voice that made her melt, the voice that made her feel so different inside. Diane's stomach dropped nervously. She didn't know how to speak apparently.

"Y-yeah." Diane answered finally opening her mouth to say something. God, it was awful. She was so embarrassed and nervous. It was all a mess. One big mess.

"Hi, it's um...it's John. I was uh, I was...wondering if y-you'd like to..." John stopped mid sentence. He was nervous too, nervous that she'd say no. Nervous that he'd make a fool of himself in front of the special girl.

"Yes?" Diane asked trying to get him to finish his sentence. She was almost trembling with anticipation and nervousness. It was dead silent for a while.

"I was wondering if you'd maybe like to...get a uh, drink with me at the...at the bar?" The words finally escaped his mouth. He was shocked that he'd actually worked up the confidence to ask her the question. John was proud of himself.

Diane on the other hand was freaking out. There's NO way John asked her to go get a drink. A drink? Like a date?

She was so happy she could die and she didn't know wether to say yes right away. Should she play hard to get or just accept and be nice. Oh but if she said no, John might not try again. But if she said yes, John might think she's to desperate. It was so confusing, it shouldn't be this hard.

"I- uhm....of course. Of course I will. When?" Diane asked. Smart choice. Right? She waited for the answer with such anxiousness. Her knee was bouncing up down from trying to contain her happiness.

"Well, if you don't have anything going on. Maybe tonight?" John asked twirling the phone line around his finger nervously. Diane pulled the phone away and covered the lower half to squeal to herself. She didn't know that John had actually heard her. This put a smile on his face.

"Y-yeah...no I don't have anything going on. Tonight would be fine." Diane answered casually. She was so happy that he'd actually asked her, she would never have dreamed this would happen.

"Alright then. How about 7?" John asked her waiting for a response like his life depended on it. Diane bit her lip and contained her squeal again. It was so hard not to just scream from happiness.

"Sounds perfect." She answered happily. John smiled at nodded to himself. He was so proud of himself for delivering the invitation so etiquette-ly.

"Ok I'll see you then. Bye bye." John said to her. Diane smiled to herself and then hung up the phone. She flopped on the couch and jumped all around so ecstatic. She was actually going on a date with this guy she's been gawking over.