BETTER THINGS

"The end...." Diane read aloud as she sat down in her usual chair at the library. It had been exactly 3 days since her breakup with John. She'd almost completely gone mad from staying at home so much, she had to go to work at least once. Even though, she was good at hiding it....she knew she was cracking more and more everyday. God, she didn't realize how exhausting reading a book aloud to people is.

Silence filled the library as she replayed what had happened just a couple days ago. Tears were welling in her eyes but she wasn't about to embarrass herself in front of easily 15 people. The words John had so angrily yelled at her made her feel so alone and scared. It's like she couldn't forget him, ever. Anything she did reminded her of him. Diane wanted him out of her life, but back in it at the same time. Everything made no sense at all, and it was getting to her head. Abruptly, she stood up catching almost everyone's attention.

With a single tear rolling down her cheek, she exited the library as fast as she could. Diane had to change for herself, she had to do something for herself. Not for John, not for anyone. She felt so alone, like no one understood what she was going through. No one she could talk to....John was probably fine by now. He's probably hanging out with his friends and having the time of his life eyeing any girl who walks his way. Diane quickly, walked down the street where her new appearance was waiting.

John on the other hand....was not in any condition to even leave his home. Diane's assumptions were as wrong as can be. He was a mess, he felt so regretful and ashamed. He didn't mean to lash out like that. They could've easily talked it over, but no. John stayed put, reading magazines or watching whatever was on TV. He hated knowing he never gave Diane the New Years kiss he promised. It killed him inside knowing he'd hurt her like that. Right now, he didn't care wether or not she slept with someone else. John only cared about the fact that he hurt her.

The amount of regret he felt made him want to stay inside even longer. But he too thought he needed a change. Something to get Diane off his mind, it was tearing him apart. What tore him up most, what he regretted most was he never got to tell Diane how much he loved her. He really did, but he never built up to courage to say it, and now he'll never have the chance. John still loves her, but he knows she doesn't love him anymore. Especially after what he did. He wasn't glad they were over, he dreaded knowing they were over. His thoughts were soon interrupted when he heard a knock at his door.

He limped his way over to the door feeling the guilt he felt and was met with Simon. A smile on his face, that smile made John envious. Absolutely envious. John wished he had the right state of mind to smile, but who has he kidding?

"John. They're gonna sign for Planet Earth!" Simon said full of excitement. John knitted his eyebrows together and leant against the doorframe looking tired and annoyed.

"Who- who's signing for Planet Earth?" He asked out of his head. Simons face almost dropped...was John really this upset?

"EMI, John. E...M...I." He pronounced slowly. These words sent something through John. They were really gonna put a song out. One of their own songs? Someone was gonna make their song an actually song. Diane wasn't even a thought anymore as a cheeky smile spread across his face.

"Well come on, then!" Simon cheered before dragging John out of his place. Diane had completely vanished from his mind. He had better things to work on now. He couldn't be happier.