Chapter 25 ~ alive

Paris, France, to some it is the city of love, to others a tourist destination like no other; to me, it's home to some of the best outdoor cafes in the world. By now, approximately 48 hours had passed since I had left the Avengers and had taken up the one of my many identities, Valerie Vector.

I contently glanced around my hiding place as I readjusted my sunglasses. Out in the open, and yet seen by no one. To almost anyone, I seemed to be a perfectly normal French girl who was enjoying a late breakfast in one of Paris' many open air cafes. I slowly sipped my Noisette as I quietly scanned the menu. The clanking of the metal chair across from me alerted me to the fact that my contact had finally arrived. "You're late." I stated without glancing up."

"How you'd make it away from the Avengers?" Jack questioned as he slid into the seat across from me.

"Long story." I shrugged as I kept my gaze focused on the menu. "How'd you get out of Wakanda?" My voice stayed steady and even, to anyone nearby we would appear as nothing more than siblings having a dull conversation.

He cleared his throat. "Also a long story."

I glanced up slightly surprised by his response. I slowly took another sip of my coffee as I carelessly glanced around. "I assume you've seen the news."

"I saw Parker's name was cleared." He slowly began as he picked up his own menu. "Spider-Man's identity is still a mystery, and he is free to work under his secret identity without danger."

I nodded slightly as I returned my gaze to the menu. I really should have looked at the it before coming; I had over fifteen minutes to decide what I wanted and I still was stuck between two things. Maybe I could convince Jack to order one of my choices, and then make him share.

"I take it that you don't agree with Peter's decision." Jack questioned.

"No. I don't." I slowly replied as I weighed my menu options. I wonder which one had less calories. Nope. Don't even bother looking, it would only lead to ruling out everything that I had already decided I wanted. "Did you see the other announcement?" I glanced up to watch his reaction.

"I saw." He slowly nodded. "This could be problematic."

"The understatement of the century." I flatly responded. The news had been playing the story round the clock since the official announcement had been made two days ago.

"How easy will it be for him to trace us?" Jack questioned.

"Easy enough." I shrugged as I adjusted the sunglasses; I really should have bought better quality glasses to use for housing E.D.I.T.H.

"Lily." He began as he motioned towards my face. "Is that?"

I nodded. "If I had known, I wouldn't have taken the dumb glasses." I moaned as I haplessly discarded the menu back on the metal table.

He took a deep breath in an effort to remain calm. "What's our window?"

"I give three days tops before Bucky finds us." I shrugged. "We may be able to extend that if we head someplace else."

"So we're sitting out in the open?" Jack's brow furrowed as he glanced back down at his own menu.

"He'll be looking for someone covertly hiding." I slowly began. "Not like this." I gestured around the cafe.