Chapter 1 ~ and so it begins

Summer 2023-11 years later

"I'm hit." Someone screamed behind me.

I jumped at their cry and looked back to see a blonde haired boy crumpling up into a ball on the floor. "Ah, Jack. You've never had the best reflexes." I muttered sarcastically under my breath. I glanced back up to survey my surroundings. His death would be for nothing if I did not survive.

Someone lunged at me from the second floor warehouse balcony, but I quickly dodged out of their way. My assailant crashed to the floor with a screech to where they now lay lifelessly on the cement floor. I moved my feet, forcing my pulsers to propel me further into the air. Most of my teammates had already fallen prey to our deadly nemesis.

I glanced up to see Keating coming towards me. I ducked out of his way and watched him also fall towards the ground. "Loser." I shouted after him.

"Cheater." He growled back.

I smirked and brushed my red hair out of my blue eyes. The Foreigner had hated me ever since I had tricked him into revealing his name. But then again he pretty much hated everyone here, except for Silver. He claimed she was the love of his life, and the team just kept on hoping that she would realize he was jerk and send him packing.

A blaring whistle sounded and everyone grew quiet.
I glanced up to see Felicia Harding standing on the second floor landing. "Congratulations to our winner, Lily."

Jack cheered enthusiastically and then grew quiet as the rest of the Wild Pack glared at him. Jackson Arvard and I were both free lancers with the team, and the majority of the group made sure we understood that we were still considered outsiders.

"It's not fair, she has tech to make her fly." Keating whined.

"Dude, you're suppose to be like a master assassin you should be able to beat her with your eyes closed." Jack began to argue. "Let's face it you're just mad that you lost the Floor is Lava."

Keating growled something under his breath and then proceeded to go sulk in the corner.

I stuck my tongue out at him as he slipped away. He began glaring even harder at me until he realized Felicia was watching him.

Felicia Harding, the Black Cat, was the co-leader of the Wild Pack along with her cousin, the Silver Sable. The two girls had been inseparable since half of earth's population had vanished. But now that everyone was back...unfortunately things weren't running so smoothly at the Wild Pack's Lair.

"I hate her." Keating growled to Felicia.

She flashed a smile at him. "Pretty sure the feeling is mutual there, buddy."

I caught Jack's eye and we both smirked. Buddy was her favorite way to indicate her disgust for certain members on the team without directly saying she despised them. Plus,  Keating claimed that "buddy" was beneath his fine background so it made him squirm in annoyance...which was never a bad thing.

"If everyone has finished exchanging pleasantries. We have work to do." Felicia paused. "Silver wants us to check all our safe houses; since due to the recent population growth, they may no longer be safe."

Everyone in the room groaned. "Seriously, we finally got a nice, quick way to get rid of a bunch of earth's idiots and someone decided to bring them all back." Jack bitterly muttered under his breath.

"Yes, well in spite of all of our feelings of joy and hate towards the new arrangements, we're stuck with them all again." She paused. "So unless anyone knows how to rebuild the infinity gauntlet and bring back the joys of no traffic, we all have jobs to do." She paused once more. "Assignments as follows: Arvard and Keating you're on security here; Farrell and I will take Queens and Brooklyn. Lily you will meet Tiger and check on Bronx and Harlem. Everyone else stay here and await orders from Silver."