Flashback

Mary Parker quietly crept to the back of the quinjet to survey her husband and the little girl they had rescued only a few hours before. "How is she?" She softly whispered as slipped down next to her husband.

"She cried herself to sleep." He sadly shook his head. "Poor thing is devastated about leaving that."

Mary softly cleared her throat to prevent the expletives that she knew were about to escape her husband's mouth. She tilted her head towards the sleeping child.

"About leaving that piece of trash." He continued through gritted teeth.

"I don't know." She softly said. "After seeing how he treated her, I can't help but think he did genuinely care about her."

"In only the twisted way a Hydra agent could care about someone." Richard grumbled as he continued to stand guard over the sleeping child.

Mary smiled to herself. He had only known her for a matter of hours, and already he felt the need to protect her from the dangers of the world. "He did help you find me." She encouraged as she reached for his hand.

"Yeah. Because he was too much of a coward to rescue the kid himself." Richard spat as reassuringly squeezed her hand.

Mary continued to watch the sleeping child. "I don't think he is someone who can be defined as good or evil. He lives somewhere in the grey. Garret pulled him one way, and she pulled him the other way." She paused. "Only time will tell which side he will choose."

Richard remained quiet upon her assessment of Agent Ward. He knew better then to even try arguing with her. "Who's Flossie?" He abruptly asked.

"Her stuffed purple flamingo. Why?" Mary glanced over at him. She was somewhat intrigued as to why a stuffed animal was suddenly the topic of discussion.

Richard let out a groan. "It was one of the things she was crying about."

Mary grimaced. "She sleeps with it every night. She normally doesn't let it out of her sight." She grabbed the pink backpack that had been discarded on the floor and began to rummage through it.

"See it?" Richard quietly called out to her.

"No." She softly said. "She must have left it back at wherever they were staying."

"I don't suppose finding another stuffed purple flamingo would be easy?"

Mary shook her. "I don't believe so."

"Think she'd settle for a teddy bear?" A small smirk played at the corners of his mouth. "I'm sure I could find the cutest stuffed black bear around here.

"If you were a five-year-old little girl and you had to choose between a black bear and a purple flamingo which would you choose?"

"Both." He replied while crossing his arms. "And then I would pout until you'd agree to buy me both."

Mary shook her head as she feigned annoyance at him. "You are so immature."

"And you love me for it." He smiled as he leaned forward to kiss her.

"Ewww. Gross." A high pitched voice sounded their disgust toward the display of affection.