<><><><><><><><><><>

"Christian! Shut up, will you? I'm working!" my dad yelled at me. I winced and tip-toed the rest of the way to my room, careful not to make any unnecessary noise. I've got to stop doing that. I flopped on my bed and my phone dinged. I unlocked it and read the new text.

Scotty :)
I'm picking you up for the party at 9:00 okay?

You
Yeah that's fine. Thanks by the way!

Scotty :)
Yeah, yeah. No problemo.

I smiled at the text and turned on some music, going through my bathroom window for a smoke. It would be alarmingly loud at the party and I needed to prepare myself. I wasn't too fond of loud noises or yelling, but I preferred it over silence. I hated silence. It was never silent with her around. God, I missed her.

I've been going through the motions
Learning how to pretend
That everything is perfect

Hayd played out of my phone as I removed a cigarette from the carton. I pulled my lighter out and lit the cigarette, placing it between my lips and taking a long drag.

And I've been sinking in an ocean
Drowning but I'm silent
Yet everyone thinks I'm afloat

I smiled at the sky and laid down, putting an arm behind my head and relaxing. Blowing more smoke out, I closed my eyes and let my thoughts and music take me away to places I didn't want to be and places I wish I were. Places I didn't want to revisit and places I wish I never left. Places I wish were burned to the ground and places I treasured close to my heart. I let my mind rest and before I knew it, I was drifting into a deep sleep.

"Tia, how are you?" she asked me. We were stargazing again. I shrugged, not bothering to look at her. She knew I wasn't going to answer. I never did.

"Wanna know what I learned I'm science today?" she asked. I nodded. She knew I loved science class. She would learn about the moon and the stars and the skies and then she would tell me about it. It was my way of learning. She smiled brightly at me.

"So, you know how you can't see the moon and stars in the daytime?"

I nodded.

"Well, it's because it's not dark enough to see them. They are always there, we just can't see them because the moon and stars can't shine without darkness! Isn't that cool? I always thought they disappeared for daytime and reappeared at night."

"That's cool," I answered. I didn't let her know how cool I actually thought that was. I want to be a star. I guess in a way, I was one. I would hide away and disappear in the day, but at night, I talked and expressed my emotions. To her at least.

"You know, Christian. You're kind of a star yourself," she began. I smiled. "You hide during the day, but shine at night. Only certain people know that you shine during the day as well because they pay attention to you and care for you."

My smiled faltered. I never thought about that. I guess I could still see the moon in the day if I really looked. If only I was a star.

When I woke up, I checked the time. It was almost eight-thirty. I sat up and climbed back into the house, turning my music off and hiding my cigarettes from my dad. Feeling hungry, I travelled down to the kitchen and made some toast.

"Christian! The fuck is wrong with you?" my dad yelled. I winced and turned around to face him. He was drunk. He flung the empty beer bottle at me and my eyes widened and I raised my arms to protect my head. The glass shattered and cut the skin of my arms.