Chapter 12 ~ Stuck

The next day, we were awoken by an energized Aang.

"Today's the day! Can you believe it? After all that time searching for a teacher, I'm finally starting earthbending! And this place, it's perfect, don't you think? Sokka? Y/N? Oh, you're still sleeping, huh?" He lowered his tone of voice. "Sorry."

I did my best to block out the voices of the rest of the Gaang. "5 more minutes." I grumbled.

"Good morning earthbending student!"

"Good morning, Sifu Toph."

"Hey, you never called me Sifu Katara."

I heard Sokka sit up, mumble something to Toph, then lie back down.

"Sorry, Snoozles, we'll do our earthbending as quietly as we can." She mock-whispered.

Then, she earthbended a huge rock pillar under Sokka, sending him flying through the air. He got himself back up, then hopped back next to me.

Toph and Aang continued talking loudly about earthbending ,and at this point it was obvious I wasn't getting anymore sleep, so I sat up to watch the two practice.

Aang tried to earthbend, but instead of moving the rock away from him, he moved it towards him, making him fall over.

"Rock beats airbender!" Exclaimed Sokka, who was also watching the two earthbenders.

"I don't understand what went wrong. He did it exactly the way you did." Said Katara.

"Maybe there's another way... What if I came at the boulder from another angle?"

"No. That's the problem. You've got to stop thinking like an airbender. There's no different angle, no clever solution, no trickety-trick that's going to move that rock. You've got to face it head on. And when I say head on, I mean like this:" She said, and bashed the rock with her head, causing it to break in half.

"Whoa!" Exclaimed Aang.

Toph walked away, but Katara stopped her. They chatted a bit before Toph yelled:

"Keep your knees high, Twinkle Toes!"

Aang sighed. This went on for a good part of the day, and Toph and Aang kept trying different exercises, all of which failed.

At some point, Toph thought it would be a good idea to try to teach Aang to launch objects into the air, more specifically, Sokka and I. We ran around trying to avoid Toph's earth pillars. She eventually got Sokka and sent him flying far away. She then got me, and I followed Sokka over the trees.

I landed right next to Sokka, who was rubbing his backside.

"What is wrong with her?" He grumbled.

I got up and looked around. I had no idea where she had launched us.

I was going to say something to Sokka when I noticed he was chasing a small animal.

"You're awfully cute, but unfortunately you're made of meat. Just a bit closer..." He said, as he leaped to grab the animal. "Gotcha!" He exclaimed, but he had fallen into a crevice, forcing him to let go of the animal. "You are one lucky little meat creature."

"Hey." I said, sitting down next to him. "What's up."

"You know what's up." He pouted. "I'm stuck in a hole in the ground!"

I laughed. "Karma baby, karma."

He frowned. "Karma for what? I'm a great person!"

I rolled my eyes but didn't say anything. Instead, I reached over and took off Sokka's elastic.