Chapter 4 ~ The Gaang

"Welcome Avatar Aang! I am General Fong, and welcome, to all of you great heroes! Appa, Momo, brave Sokka, the mighty Katara..."

"Mighty Katara? I like that." Said the girl, presumably Katara.

The earth kingdom soldiers started to earthbend and an impressive display of fireworks played in the air.

The blue-eyed boy looked up to the sky smiled. "Hey, not bad, not bad."

The three kids were escorted to General Fong's watchtower. I wanted to follow but my passage was blocked by the soldiers. I decided to wait by the entrance to the watchtower for the Avatar and his companions to come out.

Time skip - 30 minutes

Finally the three kids emerged from the tower. Without thinking I placed myself in front of them and said:

"Hi! My name's Y/N! What's yours? How are you guys?" I was rambling. I always did that when I met new people my age. "So are you guys staying here? I guess not since it's just an outpost, not a city. But I'm staying here! At least for now..." Oh my god. I have to stop. "Heh. So yeah."

The short boy smiled and said: "Hi! My name's Aang, and this is Katara and Sokka. We're great, you? We'll probably stay for a day or two before we get moving! It's cool that you're staying here! Also, is that a fire nation outfit? It's pretty."

Wow. That kid actually answered all my questions without making a comment about my rambling. That's a first.

"I'm fine thanks. Too bad you're not staying long, this is a fun outpost, as far as earth kingdom outposts go. Um, yeah, this is a fire nation outfit." I didn't want to have to talk about that any more than I had to. "So do you guys have a place to eat tonight?"

Sokka stepped in front of Aang. "Wait a second... Where did you get that outfit?" 

Oh no, he looks like a fire nation hater... I think for a while about how to go about this and I opt for honesty. Lying never got me anywhere.

"I'm actually from the fire nation." I wanted it to say it confidently, but instead it came out as shy and weak.

"Uh hun." He turned to Aang and Katara. "Let's go guys, I'm sure we can find somewhere else to eat."

I looked at my boots. I guess I was right about him being a fire nation hater after all. I've never wanted to be wrong so badly in my entire life.

"Aw come on Sokka," Said Aang. "Let's go eat with her, just because she was born in the fire nation doesn't make her evil."

I smiled at Aang. He got it spot on.

"Ugh, fine, you're the boss. Just don't expect me to be having fun. I'm watching you." He said to me. "If you do anything, anything, to hurt Aang, I will personally break your arm."

"Break my arm? You would think that the Avatar's companion would have better threats than that."

"Oh yeah, I'm sure you have had plenty of time to practice those back home." He practically spat. Ouch. He might not be able to threaten someone, but he sure could hit where it hurts.

I was just about to snap back at him when Katara came between us and said: "Guys don't fight. Sokka, we're eating with Y/N tonight, so get used to it."

Sokka sighed but didn't say anything. I led them to Gaya's house, while they told me about their mission and about General Fong. I couldn't believe he wanted to force the avatar state! It seemed against nature, but then again, if they succeeded, it would solve a lot of problems, including the Fire Lord. I might be fire nation, but that didn't mean I approved of what the Fire Lord was doing.