Chapter 44 ~ Preparing

When I woke up the next day, it was to the sound of Zuko and Aang training hard.

"More ferocious! Imagine striking through your opponent's heart!"

"I'm trying."

"Now let me hear you roar like a tigerdillo!" Aang made a noise that sounded strangely like a cat rat. "That sounded pathetic! I said roar!"

I rubbed my eyes, dragging myself outside. Aang was screaming while punching the air, creating fire. Zuko was like his coach, urging him on.

"Who wants a nice cool glass of watermelon juice?" Katara asked, holding some watermelon halves.

"Ooh, ooh! Me, me, me!" Said Aang excitedly, running over to see Katara.

"I'll take some as well." I said, raising my hand.

Zuko pulled Aang's shirt back, stopping him from getting his watermelon juice. "Your lesson's not over yet. Get back here."

"Come on, Zuko. Just take a break. What's the big deal?" Katara asked.

"Fine!" He let Aang go. "If you want to lounge around like a bunch of snail sloths all day, then go ahead!"

Zuko kicked the ground in frustration and walked away.

"What is up with him?"

"He's probably just stressed. He has been working pretty hard, trying to help Aang and all. And I'm sure he's as anxious for the arrival of Sozin's comet as we all are." I saighed, sipping my watermelon juice. "I'll go talk to him."

I went off where Zuko had ran off to, finding him crouched against a rock, holding his face in his hands.

"Hey. Are you ok?"

"No, I'm not ok! Aang won't take his firebending training seriously, and Sozin's comet is just around the corner!"

I took a seat next to him, putting my hand on his shoulder. "Don't forget, Aang is only twelve. Training nonstop isn't his thing. It isn't mine either, and I'm fifteen!"

"I don't know what else to do. With the power from the comet, Aang's firebending power will be increased tenfold, maybe more! If he doesn't have perfect control of his fire now, he won't be able to manage it when it's enhamced. And we don't have much time left."

"I know. But hear me out, Zuko. What if Aang didn't use his fire? After all, Fire Lord Ozai will be stronger as well. Maybe fighting fire with fire isn't the best idea here. Aang could always rely on his other elements, like air and water, since he has more control over them. Besides, once he gets into the Avatar state, he can control all the elements perfectly. I think?"

"You think?"

"Ok, I admit I don't know exactly how it works. But maybe all this training has been making Aang stressed as well. You are putting a lot of pressure on him, as if there wasn't enough resting on his shoulders already. We need Aang to be as calm and collected as he can be."

"I know that. Having him in a state of panic wouldn't be good. But if he feels confident in his firebending abilities when the time comes, he'll perform better."

"You're right... If Aang doesn't feel ready, that will also make him more stressed."

"Exactly! I'm not sure what to make of it. Do I take the risk and train him, hoping he will have control over his fire in time? Or do I let him relax, counting on his abilities to not be fazed by his inexperience?"

"I'm really not sure what the best choice is here."

We both sighed. I finished my watermelon juice, throwing out the rind.