Chapter 45 ~ Gone

Later that day, we had the treat to hear Sokka's big plan, fight a bit against Toph who had taken the persona of "Melon Lord" and looking at an old picture of Fire Lord Ozai Katara had found in the attic of the beach house.

Sadly, during our practice, Aang found himself incapable of killing the giant melon scarecrow. It might have only been an image of the Fire Lord, but the fact that Aang wasn't capable of beheading a literal fruit said a lot about the situation we were in at the moment.

Right now, we were huddled around a fire, discussing what we were going to do.

"He's still a human being."

"You're going to defend him?" Accused Zuko, patience wearing thin.

"No, I agree with you. Fire Lord Ozai is a horrible person, and the world would probably be better off without him, but there's got to be another way."

"Like what?" I asked.

"I don't know. Maybe we can make some big pots of glue, and then I can use gluebending to stick his arms and legs together so he can't bend anymore."

"Yeah, then you can show him his baby pictures, and all those happy memories will make him good again." Said Zuko, making Sokka chuckle. The scarred boy sent him a sharp look, immediately making him shut up.

Aang's eyes widened at that, a smile growing on his face."Do you really think that would work?"

"No!"

Aang sighed, standing up and beginning to pace. "This goes against everything I learned from the monks. I can't just go around wiping out people I don't like."

Sokka, who's attitude was way more nonchalant than Aang, didn't seem to understand the monk's feelings. "Sure you can. You're the Avatar. If it's in the name of keeping balance, I'm pretty sure the universe will forgive you."

"This isn't a joke, Sokka! None of you understand the position I'm in."

"Aang, we do understand. It's just..." Started Katara.

"Just what, Katara? What?"

"We're trying to help!"

"Then, when you figure out a way for me to beat the Fire Lord without taking his life, I'd love to hear it!" Aang said, stomping away to cool off.

"Aang, don't walk away from this." Katara said sternly.

Zuko put his hand up, silencing Katara. "Let him go. He needs time to sort it out by himself."

With the atmosphere so thick you could cut it, I figured it was time for a little break. "Ok guys! Let's finish our food and get a good night's rest so we'll all be ready for tomorrow! I'm sure Aang will come back when he's ready."

I was met with mumbles of agreement, and everyone started eating again. The second we had finished our plates and washed them, everyone went into their bed with few words, except maybe a scattered "goodnight" here and there.

As I began to fall into sleep's grasp, I found a burning sensation in my stomach, one I was quite used to by now. It was stress, and it was there for good reason. After all, tomorrow was the day we tried to take down the Fire Lord.

The next morning, I woke up after the others as usual. What can I say? I need my beauty sleep.

Sokka sat on Appa's saddle, checking our supplies. "Okay, that's everything. Oh, hey Y/N. Good morning!"

"Good morning to you too. What's up."

"We're just making some last-minute checks. Everything seems to be in order."