Chapter 32 ~ Convincing

While I started my departure with a slow, walking speed, I quickly increased my pace. If I was to get to the rendezvous location in time, I'd have to hurry up.

By now, Zuko should be on his way to find his Uncle. The appointed spot was at a little spot behind the Fire Nation palace, where a few extra war balloons were stocked in case of emergency.

I sped through the corridors, trying to remember the way out. Zuko and I had gone over the plan at least a dozen times, but now it just felt like I was going on autopilot. I'd just have to hope that my instincts were right.

Two guards looked at me in confusion when I tried to pass them, and tried to stop me. They were both taken care of in an instant.

They wouldn't die. They'd just be in the hospital for a while.

Luckily, the rest of my route was unbothered. I got to the air balloon and entered it, only to see that Zuko wasn't there yet.

That was fine, he told me he might arrive a little later then I would. I checked that our stuff was still where we had put it the day before, and started getting ready for departure. As I was familiarizing myself with the controls, I heard the door open and close behind me.

I turned around and saw Zuko. "Hey! Where's Iroh?"

"He wasn't there." He said. "I think he escaped."

"Oh."

"It's fine. We'll just go on with the plan. We can do it without him." Zuko said, sending me a comforting smile.

"Right!"

Zuko placed himself at the controls, starting the engine.

"So should I do anything or..."

"Have you ever flown an airship before?"

"No."

"Then you can just wait. I can take care of this."

"Sure."

And so, we rose into the air. Looking out the window, I saw we were following Appa who was carrying a number of people, all kids. When I looked downwards, I noticed how many people were just standing there without any means of escape. They were going to be captured by the Fire Nation for sure.

Zuko positioned us so that we could follow the bison without being spotted. All we had to do now was follow them until they arrived to their destination.

Time skip - 4 hours

After a long but smooth flight, Appa finally started his descent. We matched his direction, settling in a place lower then the animal.

During our flight, we took the opportunity to change into more comfortable clothes and check ourselves for any injuries.

Zuko and I got out of the war balloon. We seemed to be on a plane of solid rock, with a forest close by. I didn't see what was so interesting about this spot in particular.

However, looking a little further from where we were, I saw something amazing. A whole city, flipped upside down, hanging from the cliff Appa landed on.

"I've been here before." I shot Zuko a questioning look, pressing him to tell me more. "When I was first banished and started my search for the Avatar, I came here. It had only been a week, but I was anxious to start. This is the Western Air Temple."

We saw Appa rise in the air again, then landing on the roof of one of the houses. All of the passengers got off and scattered after talking for a little while.

"There's no point in watching them all day." I said. "Let's go make camp."

Zuko nodded and we took our things off the airship, making sure to hide it by deflating the balloon and putting a few tree branches on it.