Chapter 9 ~ Avatar day

We had made camp that night in a spot in the forest, but when I woke up I was on Appa, in the sky.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"Good morning Y/N." Said Katara. "I thought you'd never wake up."

"Why are we in the sky?"

Aang turned to look at me. "We were attacked by a bunch of people on komodo rhinos."

"They had flaming arrows and hand grenades. It's a wonder you didn't wake up." Katara finished. "If it wasn't for Sokka, we wouldn't have been able to save you."

I turned to look at Sokka, who hadn't said a word.

"So I can save Y/N, but not my boomerang?" He grumbled. "I feel like I've lost part of my identity. Imagine if Aang lost his arrow, or Katara lost her hair loopies."

I shot a questioning look at Katara.

"By saving you, he left his boomerang behind."

"Oh." I said.

Aang and Katara went back to flying Appa.

"Thanks for saving me instead of your boomerang." I said.

He looked up, but before he had the chance to say anything, I kissed him.

He blushed until he was as red as a tomato. I chuckled and let the wind blow my hair around.

Time skip - 30 minutes

We bought some supplies from a merchant. Just as we were leaving he shouted. "Have a nice Avatar day!"

Aang turned around. "Avatar Day?"

"You guys are going to the festival, right?"

"The festival? What festival?" But the merchant had already left.

We wandered around the crowd, taking in the sights of the festival.

"There's a holiday for the Avatar. Who knew?"

A huge replica of Avatar Kyoshi was being rolled down the street.

"Look! They made a giant Kyoshi float!" I pointed.

"And here comes Avatar Roku!" Said Sokka.

"Having a huge festival in your honor is great, but frankly, it's just nice to be appreciated."

"Aang, look!" Exclaimed Katara.

We all looked towards a float of Aang, as big as the others. "That's the biggest me I've ever seen!" 

A man was running towards the 3 floats, torch in hand. "Now a torch, that's a nice prop. It's bright, dangerous, smells manly. But I'm not sure I could carry it off." Said Sokka

"Hey, what's that guy doing?" Asked Katara.

The runner lit Avatar Kyoshi on fire, then Roku, and finally Aang as all the villagers chanted:

"Down with the Avatar! Down with the Avatar!"

Katara ran to some pots of water and waterbended to extinguish the fire.

"That party pooper's ruining Avatar Day!" Said one of the villagers.

Aang flew up to the top of his float. "That party pooper's my friend!"

"It's the Avatar himself!" Said a villager who seemed to be the leader.

"It's going to kill us with its awesome Avatar powers!"