Chapter 48 ~ Happiness

After a whole three months, a lot of physical therapy and healing sessions with Katara, I was finally ready to get on with my life.

As I strolled happily through the gardens of the Fire Palace, bandages wrapped around my arms since my rehabilitation was not yet over, my thoughts drifted back to Zuri and the rest of my family. A nagging guilt at the back of my mind kept returning, the guilt of knowing I still hadn't upheld the promise I made them.

Don't worry. I won't be gone long. And once I've done what I have to do, I'll come back home right away. I promise.

Yeah right. I won't be gone long, I said. How long had it been? Three months? Four? Five maybe? Everything was such a jumble, it was hard to remember what happened when.

The smell of flowers in bloom drifted into my nose, awakening a sense of peace within me. I was as free as a bird. I could do whatever I wanted.

So why not go to see my family?

I shook my head, surprised at how long it took me to realize I had the freedom to come and go and I pleased. Finishing my walk, I headed off to my room, asking one of the servants to pack my things for me, seeing as my arms were still unusable.

Before I knew it, I was back at my place.

Servants these days were especially efficient, were they not?

I walked up to my front door, knocking lightly. It was late in the afternoon on a Saturday, so hopefully everyone would be home.

The door was opened by my mother, who's eyes initially lit up at the sight of my before clouding up when she glanced at my arms. "Darling, what happened?"

"Hey mom. It's good to see you." I said, smiling at her. "It's kind of a long story, actually."

"My baby... You said you wouldn't get hurt. Oh no, your arms... And your face. They're all scarred. Oh, your legs too." She said, looking at my legs which were exposed, seeing as I was wearing a dress. "And did you cut your hair? Oh, it's so messy. I'll have to fix it."

"What's taking so long?" Huffed Zuri from inside the house, skipping towards us. "Mommy, I want to finish our- Y/N!"

She threw herself at me, holding me tightly in her small arms.

"Zuri, dear, don't squeeze so tight. You'll hurt her."

"Don't worry, I'm fine. How are you, Zuzu? Did you miss me?"

Zuri nodded. "I sure did! And look, I lost a tooth!" She opened her mouth wide and indicated a small gap in her rows of teeth with her tongue.

"You did, huh? Good for you! And it was your birthday a few months ago, wasn't it?"

"Uh huh! I'm seven now!"

"You sure are!"

"Oh, Y/N, come in. Mama is going to be so happy to see you. I'll get you something to drink." She said, hurrying off.

I began following her at a much slower pace, Zuri right behind me. "Hey, what happened to Mom? How is she feeling?"

"She started getting more scared when you first left. But when you came back and left us a second time, she began getting all fidgety and protective. Sometimes I'd hear her cry from her room." Zuri looked downcast for a moment. "But now that you're back, I'm sure everything will go back to how to was!"

I smiled at her, not wanting my little sister to be scared. "I think so to."

"Y/N? Is that you?" I heard a faint voice ask, one that was unmistakably my grandmother's. "Are you there?"